Friday, May 25, 2018

Negative Reviews

Before we go any further, or anybody actually starts to read this, (perhaps nobody ever will) I think we should address negative reviews. If there are no negative reviews, would you really trust the reviewer? Is it possible that everything you've read is your taste? I say no way! Not possible. Everyone likes something different. If I give something a negative review it by no means is an indication that the work is no good, or that you wouldn't enjoy it. The only meaning to take from my feelings, is that it wasn't my cup of tea. The book business would be pretty darn boring if we all liked the same thing, so long live the negative review. That being said, I have very few negative reviews, having reviewed books in my head for years not that have been published here since this is....for the zillionth time....yeah ....shut up April we know, it's new already blah blah blah.  Hey! Stop dismissing me! I was going to say that I like most of what I read because I know what the book is about before I buy it, and frankly, I have some authors I just plain ole' trust to deliver.

Ahem, the aforementioned disclaimer intact, I would like to say something negative about Stephen King.  Gasp all you want, I'm serious. For me, the more books that Stephen King writes, the more issues I have with them. My first problem was with the end of It. I'm not saying anything about what the book is about, no spoilers, I'm just saying when I got to the end I wondered what happened. I was totally into the story then...what? Really? That? Are you kidding me? Did you like the "you know what?"

Next negative, still on poor old put-upon Stephen King, is it me or is he getting way wordier? Is he getting paid by the word suddenly? Now, I've recently read a book by another author that had zero plot and they put every adjective they could in to stretch it....I mean what each person took in their coffee, which shelf on the fridge each item was on. You get the point. It's like when you were in second grade and the teacher asked you to write 50 words. You wrote about the red ball, that was bouncy, shiny, big, rubbery, you get my point. But Stephen King always has great plots so what is with all the extra words?

Now I have a bone to pick with The Dome. That dome comes down, I'm totally in. Like clear my schedule, the chicken can cook itself, tell hubby to eat a peanut butter sandwich all weekend IN! Then we are introduced to no less than 45 million characters. Oh yes, I counted, 45 million exactly! I realize the dome came down over a town but I really don't need to know every single resident.

All of this grief about Stephen King, let me regroup and say he IS Stephen King. STEPHEN KING. A God among authors and frankly, I adore him. Now remember on one hand he's, you know, a legend, and on the other I can make a great stuffed braided bread. Judge for yourself. Although I will be cooking nothing as he has a new book out, The Outsider, which looks fantastic and I must go read immediately!

No comments:

Post a Comment