Saturday, June 23, 2018

A Gathering of Secrets

Well everyone, I bought a new vacuum but now the dishwasher broke. All I want is to live in a home of complete harmony, is that really so much to ask? Needless to say, to escape the Maximum Overdrive 2.0 going on in my house I have resorted to books! As usual!

I have been so fortunate to receive an advance reader copy of A Gathering of Secrets by Linda Castillo. I haven't read anything by Linda before so went into this completely blind. This story is half thriller half mystery. It opens like a rocket, and I mean opens. I was saying "wow" out loud during the prologue....you read that right...THE PROLOGUE. The first chapter was even more shocking. Immediately I'm intrigued.

Without giving the story away, this is set in Ohio within several groups of amish. There is a murder and we follow the chief of police, Kate Burkholder. Now Kate, who is ex-amish herself has her own set of problems and they intertwine with the murder. Interesting huh? The chief is a very likable character that you find yourself totally rooting for. The thing is, after the super-exciting beginning the book settles into Kate going from person to person, interviewing them trying to find out who knew what and why certain things happened. I started to think "uh oh, here we go, this is about to get really dry and boring." The thing is, it didn't! It got more and more compelling of a read the further it went along and hung on until the very end...I mean the very end.

If you are interested in a mystery/thriller in a different setting or are interested in the amish, this is the book for you. If the amish setting is a turn off for you please know that it only assists the story, it doesn't detract or bog it down in any way. This book is released July 10th.

I cannot thank St. Martin's Press enough for so generously sending me a proof of this amazing story. Please don't mind it though if I blame you for my sudden urge to learn how to quilt.

1 comment: