Saturday, June 16, 2018

The Anomaly

For Valentine's Day, my husband gave me a gift subscription to The Book of the Month. I've loved it. Every month, so far, I have picked a wonderful thriller to read. For June I received The Anomaly by Michael Rutger. It is issued early for BOTM and is due for release June 19th.

I don't generally go over the plot, assuming you just want to know if it's good or annoying since you've obviously searched out a review and have certainly read the jacket.  Since this is not released I will say this is kind of like Indiana Jones meets Robert Langdon. It's the story of a group of people that shoot a series that is broadcast on YouTube. They are searching for a cave in the Grand Canyon that was supposedly visited decades ago but now only legend. The unusual cast of characters finds a cavern and to say it is a unhospitable place is an understatement. No more, nope, not saying anything more, tick-a-lock!

I am always amazed when writers can describe action and it's easy to picture without the words getting in the way. Some thriller writers do that really well, James Rollins comes to mind, Michael Rutger is one of those writers. The Anomaly is well paced, well edited, is creepy and interesting at the same time. It has some really good dialog, especially if you like sarcasm, who doesn't? Overall, I completely enjoyed this book. If you like books that are a little rough and tumble, you'll like this, There are absolutely no make-up tips here. If you like books that make you wonder enough to turn the pages faster and that almost each chapter ends on a bit of a cliff hanger, you'll like this. If you are claustrophobic, you'll be completely freaked out by this book. Needless to say, I'm rethinking that trip to the Grand Canyon, photographs of it are so good these days!

No comments:

Post a Comment