Sunday, January 6, 2019

The Red Address Book by Sofia Lundberg

Hello everyone.

I hope you are all well and had a fun New Year's celebration. We, of course, were sick. I hope you don't catch this "thing" that is going around with a cough that just will not leave. Poor hubby is starting to sound like a seal when he coughs. I want to tease him, maybe toss a beach ball for him to spin on his nose, but I feel so horrible for him. It actually breaks my heart to hear him in distress. No, those of you that are medically inclined, he does not have whooping cough or pneumonia, but thanks for your concern. Doesn't it seem like every winter there is some stubborn virus going around? Luckily we usually avoid it but guess it was our turn. Oh well, we've seen lots of Netflix and Hulu (both I am angry about the story lines but that is for another day).

Anyway, while plopped firmly in a chair with a blanket on my lap, hubby safely recovering on the sofa, fire in the fireplace and Christmas tree lights on, I finished another great book. I just completed The Red Address Book by Sofia Lundberg. I received an advanced copy but the actual release is this coming Tuesday on January 8, 2019. If you like wonderful stories that span a lifetime, this is the kind of book you would like. It tells the story of a ninety-six year old woman, Doris, who is writing her life story for her niece. Doris is using her address book as a prompt for her memories. The story is lovely, moving from Sweden to Paris to New York...you get the picture. This is nicely paced, thoroughly telling the story but not lingering on any one part for too long.

Now I am about to be nitpicky and most likely completely wrong, so take this for what it is worth....which is probably a negative amount. One of the people listed in Doris' address book is someone that is in her life a short time. She would never have an address or phone number or need to contact them. So why are they in the address book at all? It just left me wondering why. The author is from Sweden, I am in the USA. I have no idea how address books work in Sweden so having this character listed may well be completely normal. In any case, this does not distract from the story and, again, the character is necessary. Also, like when I have objections to certain things Stephen King does, please remember Sofia Lundberg, has a major hit novel that is going global and I have a cold and dirty kitchen floor. Judge for yourself!

Seriously, The Red Address Book is wonderful. If you like good stories, this delivers.

2 comments:

  1. Everyone at my work has the cough, but I can't seem to get it! I could do with a day off to stay in bed 😂
    I suppose the art of keeping a physical address book is dying off nowadays? This book sounds really cosy and warm; just the thing for a bleak winter's night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicola, I hope you don't get it. I kept hearing (my sis is a nurse) that it is one of those virus' that keeps coming back, weeks after you think you've given it the boot. Now, I can tell you it is darn annoying lol. Many thanks for always reading and commenting. You are so kind.

    ReplyDelete