Wednesday, February 20, 2019

For Better and Worse by Margot Hunt

Hello everyone.

 Long time since we've been here. I was very fortunate to get to go on a business trip with my husband. He developed a new process for the company he works for and he is actually being awarded a patent for it. Can you believe it? My hubby, an inventor!  I wish he could invent something for me like a dust-free house or something that makes all the clutter go away. Geez, ever look around and swear there is something on every single surface of your house? I don't mean something decorative but something that doesn't belong there. That is how my house is right now and it really gets on my nerves. We have almost 4,000 square feet for two people there is no excuse for so much junk...or beloved belongings without a home. Still, a home, full of stuff or maintained by a neat-nick that I strive to be, is a wonderful thing. A home is someplace you can relax, heal, reenergize, think and plan. I suppose at its most basic it is shelter and safety. What happens though when you learn that someone that you thought was your safety net may not be or when someone you love tells you something terrible has happened to them? You spend that cocooning time in your home with doubt and with constant unease, those annoying butterflies in your stomach. Beautiful to look at, not so nice for lunch.

The feeling of uneasiness and uncertainty is at the center of the book For Better and Worse by Margot Hunt. The book blurb tells you about a married couple that met in law school and discussed how to get away with murder. Now for the record, I met my darling, inventor husband in college and I can assure you we did NOT discuss murder. So from the beginning, the story grabs your attention, unless of course murder talk is your primo dating move, then you'll likely be bored. As the story moves on, something bad happens to this lawyerly couple's son. Now, I don't usually restate book info but this story, a thriller, asks a question that if I was a mom, what would I do?  I don't know how I would answer. If someone hurt your child what would you do? What if they were going to be in a position to do it again, even if you remove your child from the situation this person could hurt someone else? What would you do? Forgetting what is legal, what do you morally do? I'm telling you honestly that if it were me, I don't know. I would like to think I'd handle something terrible with a dignified grace and have forgiveness, but...but...someone you love dearly is hurt on purpose. I don't know but I really doubt I would be able to control myself. Which, let's face it, is stupid, I'd end up in jail and the situation would just get worse. In this story, these parents are faced with that decision. This could make for a heartbreaking story, well it is, but Margot Hunt also makes it into a heart racing thriller. Nothing is ever as simple as it looks, as the couple in this novel quickly find out.

This book is quick paced, stays on the plot with quite the roller coaster ride. It even has a good to the last drop ending.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's so cool about your husband having a patent! The book sounds pretty intriguing too - the married couple are obviously intelligent people, having gone to law school, yet they let their emotions take over. And then I guess we're rooting for them not to get caught - an interesting idea!

    ReplyDelete