Monday, March 18, 2019

Before She Knew Him by Peter Swanson

Hello everyone.

Have you ever seen someone you thought you knew but it wasn't that person? Awkward to say but you know what I mean. Of course you have, everybody has. My husband told me about how they were on vacation when he was a kid and were 2,000+ miles away from home, and his sister thought she saw someone from her elementary school class riding their bike. When I lost my parents, I swear I saw each of them everywhere. I still often think I see my dad, he just had one of "those" faces and heads, especially from the back...you know...dad-ish. In the case of grief, I am sure it is very common especially shortly after your loss. Otherwise, I am sure someone has caught your eye. Some of us have a good memory for faces.

I recently read Before She Knew Him by Peter Swanson. In this story, a woman, Hen (short for Henrietta) and her husband, Lloyd, have moved into a new house. They have dinner at the neighbors house directly across the street. A pretty normal and pleasant thing to do. While they are being given a home tour Hen sees a trophy that reminds her of a murder case. Although she doesn't know the murderer's face like I was yammering about earlier, Henrietta knows the trophy. She remembers the murder of years ago so clearly because she lived on the street where it happened. The trophy, for fencing, was taken by the killer as a grisly souvenir. Although their charming host has a perfectly logical explanation for having the award, Hen has a sense that all is not well. As they story progresses we find out not only did Hen live on the street where the murder was committed but has had mental health issues in the past. When she becomes absolutely positive that she is now living on the street with the killer, she goes to the police but who will believe her with her past? Even Lloyd doubts his wife, fearing another mental break. Ahhh, I've given you plot which I vowed not to do, you've likely already read the book jacket. I just couldn't help myself. This story is just what a thriller should be, twisty. It leaves you on the edge of your seat, flipping pages like a mad woman. It forces you to eat frozen pizza for dinner! Oh yes, gasp you should, this book is too good to even contemplate time away from it to make dinner...and the resulting dishes...forget about them!

Do yourself a favor, get your favorite take out pizza, some paper plates, and this book. You will savor them all!

No comments:

Post a Comment