Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Transcription by Kate Atkinson

Hello everyone.

If my spelling is off today, it is not really my spelling...well it could be, but I'm sticky. Why you ask? I did something housewifey today. I made flakey pastries with a chocolate cream filling, golden brown topped with a light dusting of confectioners sugar. They are tasty and pretty but seems like a lot of work for something that will be gone so quickly. Although if I think what I'd pay for something like it in a store or coffee shop, hmmm, I guess the stickiness is worth it. It was a nice surprise for hubby too, who is working from home this afternoon. Speaking of hubby, this is the second and last of his reviews for the moment. He read and loved Transcription by Kate Atkinson. When I read him the plot he was all in and dove into the book the second it arrived, not putting it down until it was over.

His thoughts:

Although the title suggests a somewhat mundane activity, typewriter keys drumming an erratic song as voices resonate from earphones, the assignment only begins that way. Set against a backdrop of the early days of England ’s entrenchment in World War II, the MI5 job suddenly casts a large shadow. The eavesdropping heroine of our tale is neither saddled with an escape-worthy past nor endowed with extreme talents. This everywoman quality makes it a comfortable fit for the reader to hear both her catty thoughts about a coworker one moment and tensely follow a flashback as duty tested her bravery and patriotic dedication to her newfound craft. Immersive and spanning a decade in the environs of London , the story will leave the reader pondering the character’s post-novel life, proof of a good tale. Mid-century and espionage fans will want to listen along with Miss Armstrong.      

Well there you have it, hubby read two books about spies and loved them both. I'll make a reader of him yet....picture Scarlet O'Hara in the scene with the orange sky where she says "As God is my witness I'll never be hungry again." If you have any suggestions about what to tempt him with now, let me know. Next time you are back to boring old me y'all.

3 comments:

  1. Lol, that is why I rarely cook - all that effort, gone in seconds! But your pastries do sound delicious 😊
    It's neat when books can switch between minute, mundane details, such as office gossip, and then much bigger dilemmas/moments of crises. This book sounds like a good example of that.
    The only spy novels I have read (and absolutely LOVED) were by Adam Diment. He wrote 4 books in the late 60s, all about the adventures of Philip McAlpine - a cowardly but very stylish James Bond rip-off. The descriptions of 60s British culture are incredibly vivid, although not politically correct at all! Highly recommended 😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huge thanks for the recommendations. Have The Dolly Dolly Spy on the way! Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete