Friday, June 28, 2019

Lying in Wait by Liz Nugent





Hello everyone.

I can't give you any roast chicken or childhood memory talk today.  I feel terrible and it's best just to get this over with quickly. I have been putting off writing this for at least a month. I wanted to read Lying in Wait by Liz Nugent from the second I learned of its existence. I immediately put it on my "to buy" list on Amazon. Finally, I threw it in my cart. After arriving in my greedy hands I still had to wait as I had a sudden rush of advanced copies to read. If a publisher or author is so kind as to send me a book, I put them first, it's only fair. So Lying in Wait sat here, teasing me with the cover, calling to me with its thriller vibes. Last month I couldn't stand it. Everything came to a halt, I told my secretary to hold my calls, and I read the book I had been lusting after. I wish I had left it on the shelf where I could admire and wonder about it.

I am going to be brutally honest, as I would expect you to be with me if I were reading your review. Nobody likes everything, so I wouldn't trust a reviewer that experienced nothing but the Snow White forest of happy, adorable animals. Everybody runs into a bad apple now and then. Obviously, I didn't like this novel.

This is the story of a perfect family. A husband, wife and son who live in a nice area with a beautiful house. We soon discover things are not as perfect as they appear, especially since the husband and wife murder someone in the first chapter. No, I'm not considering the first chapter a spoiler. They bury their victim in the garden at their home. This book was much too slow for me and it really frustrated me as there were so many places this story could have gone, but didn't. Instead the book becomes repetitive, focusing endlessly on the son's extra weight. The mother, grandmother, girlfiend and school friends discuss this poor boy. It is in almost every single chapter. Honestly, I think you could see less about weight in a Weight Watchers book.

On the positive, the story was well written and an easy, smooth read. Because the writing is so strong, I will definitely try another book from Liz Nugent. This story just was not for me. As usual, I implore you to make your own decisions. Everyone's taste is different. People that read mostly romances don't expect the same pacing as someone who consumes a great number of thrillers. On Amazon, Lying in Wait is rated 4 stars and is currently 3.82 on Goodreads. Somebody likes it! I would love to know if you liked it and why.

For me, I feel like I went into Snow White's woods and instead of hearing strains of "Hi Ho", I got "Ho Hum". Hopefully my prince will come with his white horse to take me to the bookstore.

No comments:

Post a Comment