Wednesday, August 28, 2019

The Passengers by John Marrs




Hello everyone.

Are you a driver or a passenger? Often people have a preference, they would rather drive or not. My husband loves to drive, I hate it.  One of the reasons I don't like driving is that I have a terrible sense of direction. I get so confused what direction is correct, I get turned backwards so easily. I once got lost in our old neighborhood while out walking. WALKING! Seems difficult when the streets were not tricky and laid out on a simple grid, but I did. Hubby jokes that I could head to the grocery store, a mile from our house, and end up two states away. I confess, it is a problem. Another thing I don't like about driving is the possibility of being out of control. Now, I can hear you saying, "But April, you'd have more control if you were driving rather than just riding along." True, but I distract myself with two things, one...scenery, two.... backseat driving.  You are all running to kiss your significant other right now, grateful that they aren't me!

Several years ago, while I was driving home on the interstate during a rainstorm that made me question if the end of the earth had begun, two cars, at different times along my trip, hydroplaned in front of me. They spun around several times, crossing five lanes of traffic, each coming to rest on the guard rail on the opposite side from where they started. By some miracle, all other cars were able to either slow down enough to avoid these out-of-control vehicles or slalom around them. Ever since then, when it rains and hubby is driving, I annoy him with my begging him to slow down. I don't care, he didn't see those cars auditioning for the Ice Capades sans ice.

I just finished reading The Passengers by John Marrs. This story is set in England in the future where they are using driverless cars. Sounds good to me! The passenger is now able to do whatever they want while they ride to their destination; email, watch a movie, read a book (an obvious choice). Several people get into cars one day and the door locks and won't open, their destination is changed to a place several hours away, and a voice comes over their operating system telling them they are going to die. There is no way out of the car, and they have no ability to regain control. In addition, the passengers' complete terror is now being broadcast everywhere, all over the internet, television, etc. These fantastic characters all pull at the reader's heart as they are made to tell their story to the world, who votes on the one person who will be allowed to live. However, the mastermind of this experience knows that they are each flawed with secrets that he is about to make public.

This book takes off from the beginning and flies ...well drives... to the end. The characters are so well developed, especially when you consider that this is a breakneck speed thriller. The plot is unique and thought provoking, the pacing, perfection. This is a classic example of everything a thriller should be, what baby thrillers aspire to when they grow up.  Do not miss it.

If you go buy this book, don't start reading it in one of those coffee shops often in bookstores. Don't start it until you've safely driven home. You'll see why!

1 comment:

  1. I prefer to be a passenger, but at least when I drive, I don't get the dreaded travel sickness! This sounds a brilliant plot, and especially apt now, what with driverless cars beginning to be tested. It does make me ever-so-slightly mistrustful of new technology though... 😟

    ReplyDelete