Monday, September 16, 2019

The Whisper Man by Alex North





Hello everyone.

I hope you are having a great day. I started a new book today, that is always enjoyable. On the housewife side of life, our new dishwasher is finally installed. It took an Act of Congress but it is done. Of course, all the dishes are already clean so the plumber ran a quick rinse cycle to check his connections (yes, we had to hire a plumber.....see me shaking my head in disgust). We have yet to dirty enough dishes to actually run an entire wash cycle. I really hope it works and actually cleans, I would hate to start over. I can live without fancy vacations, gems, baubles and a mega yacht but I need a great working dishwasher, air conditioning and a dvr with plenty of space. Don't give me that look, you're reading this on a computer or fancy phone. We all have a skewed vision of "need" these days (but just for the record mine are real needs).

With my love of books, I'm obviously an avid book buyer. Sometimes, advanced copies show up at my door. They make it feel like Christmas morning and I am always very grateful. One day I opened a package from Celadon Books. I jumped a foot. As I was removing the contents it started singing. I am not joking, it literally started singing this creepy song that is impossible to get out of your head. I even did my tried and true method for ridding myself of a song, humming the theme from Gilligan's Island. Good old Gilligan and the Skipper too, usually work for me, but not this time. In the book Celadon sent, there is a children's song that warns of the villain in this thriller and that is the song emanating from the package. Of course, it was like one of those cards where you can record your own greeting for your grandma but let me assure you there was nothing grandmotherly about this song!

Now you want to know what the book was, huh? Well the wild, spooky PR came with The Whisper Man by Alex North. This thriller is the story of a father, Tom, and his son, Jake, who are trying to heal after the death of Tom's wife/Jake's mother. Jake has pulled away from his dad, becoming somewhat remote, often quietly drawing by himself instead of socializing or leaning on his dad for support. Tom decides they need to move out of the house where his wife died. Jake is all for it and finds a house he likes, pushing his dad to buy it, which Tom does. As the story proceeds, we find that the house, like the people in this story, has many secrets.

The Whisper Man, was serial killer of young children. This predator was called The Whisper Man because before being kidnapped then killed, the children heard someone whispering outside their bedroom window. Fortunately this evil man was caught and has been in prison for many years. Concerns mount when a local child goes missing and the police learn that he heard whispering outside his window. Is this the work of a copycat killer?  Now, as Tom tries to reclaim and rebuild his relationship with his beloved son, Jake begins hearing whispers outside his window.

This book is a fast read. It is very easy to get into with well-defined and likable characters. Full of unseen twists and turns this story is hard to put down. Thriller lovers, this is our bread and butter....warming of the roll not necessary. Let me put it this way, I was upstairs reading, toward the end I yelled "Oh my God" so loudly my husband came running up eighteen steps thinking something was wrong. Something was wrong, read this book to find out all about it.

The song:


2 comments: