Saturday, December 28, 2019

Verity by Colleen Hoover




Hello everyone.

Hope you had a nice holiday season so far. My whole family ended up being sick. We didn't have Christmas dinner until the 27th. Still, things could always be worse, we were all safe and warm and I am very grateful.  I am also grateful for so many wonderful writers.

Knowing how many great writers are out there and how difficult it is to get published, doesn't it make you wonder what we, as readers, are missing? You see people on those talent shows on tv that walk on stage and sing better than any popular commercial singers. Just because writers haven't scored a big publishing contract doesn't mean they are not a fantastic author. I read an article arguing that because writers get paid so much more when independently publishing, that many are choosing to go that route. Hey, if you can make the same money selling a couple hundred books as you can selling a couple of thousand, why wouldn't you? Yet, I still purchase many, MANY, traditionally published books. It's kind of a weird time for book selling and purchasing. A fun time, for certain, with so many choices.

Recently I read my first book by Colleen Hoover. Collen writes young adult romance for traditional publishers but she independently published an adult thriller. I knew she was beloved for her romance but I resisted. As the buzz over her thriller grew, I knew I would have to read it. Verity by Colleen Hoover is about a woman, Lowen, who takes a job as a ghost writer.  Jeremy Crawford hires Lowen to complete a contract for his well known author wife, Verity, who has been permanently injured and physically unable to write. Lowen must stay at the Crawford home for a few days of research, but her living arrangements become extended as her relationship with Jeremy changes to something a bit more "friendly." Lowen is unsure about this disrespectful interest in Verity's husband especially after she swears she sees movement in the woman who she knows is physically unable.

This book is a quick read, definitely a page turner. I felt like I was constantly changing between like and dislike for each character as the book progressed, not always approving of their choices. Finally this story comes to a shocking end that I doubt you'll see coming. A solid thriller here, you'll likely not soon forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment