Thursday, January 16, 2020

Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough



Hello everyone.

I hope you are having a good week.  How open are you to things we can't explain?  Ghosts are a topic often covered in books, I haven't read a good ghost story recently but there are lots out there. Do you believe in something you can't see? Just think about things like the ocean, scientists say we've only explored a tiny amount so who knows what beings exist in places we haven't been. Giant squid used to be mythical until they were actually discovered. What about something drier that requires no bottom scrunching wet suit, like ghosts. For ghosts not to exist, then every person who ever experienced something ghostly would have to be lying or nuts. Don't write to me about how that doesn't figure into religion, I know, I have no answers. Frankly, I doubt I would want to know all life's secrets, a bit of mystery is good. The Victorian house we restored was haunted. Yes, I can hear you laughing from here. Someday I'll tell you about it. Anyway, I ask you about an open mind because of a book. Yes, I realize everything in my life involves cooking a chicken, cleaning a toilet or reading a book....obviously that is why I'm here to talk about a book (to avoid cooking and cleaning).

I recently read Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough. This is a psychological thriller about a secretary, Louise, who meets a man in a bar and they have instant chemistry. She is hopeful that this is the beginning of something wonderful. Later, Louise is shocked when she arrives at work only to discover her dream man is her new boss and he is very married. Amidst undeniable sexual tension between Louise and her new boss, David, they come to terms with his being married and continue on as employer/employee. While taking her son to school one day, Louise meets Adele, David's wife, by accident. She soon discovers that all is not as rosy as has been painted. The story moves quickly changing from each person's perspective. The reading is fun and easy and the story propels the reader forward without any effort. As the reader gets close to the end we are presented with a situation that requires having an open mind. you must be able to believe in something that can't be proven. No spoilers but if you cannot have an open mind in that way, you will not enjoy this book. However, if you can make that leap of faith, you will find the ending shockingly twisty.

Well I must run, I have lots of research to do with my open mind. I heard Elvis is alive and well and cleaning carpets in Sheboygan.

No comments:

Post a Comment