Tuesday, September 22, 2020

The Night Swim by Megan Goldin


 

Hello everyone.  I hope you are well.

My husband says I should have been a lawyer.  I used to be fascinated by court cases broadcast on television.  Perhaps he thinks I'd make a good lawyer because I always win our arguments. I can't help it, I remember things from the past to support my point and when he accuses me of something I insist he give me specific examples, which he never can. It doesn't give him more confidence knowing that over the last year I've read several thrillers that feature court cases.

I recently read The Night Swim by Megan Goldin. If the author sounds familiar to you, she wrote the very popular The Escape Room, which I  enjoyed.  The Night Swim is the story of, Rachel, an owner of a podcast that looks at true crime. When she arrives in a small North Carolina town for a real time rape trial, Rachel finds that she is being stalked.  The person following Rachel desperately wants her to review an old case, the death of the stalkers sister, which is ruled drowning but the stalker believes was murder.  Of course, the town is full of a rich cast of characters some of which lived there during both crimes.  

The thriller part of this novel, is page-turning and suspenseful. The legal areas may have some procedural errors but unless you are a criminal attorney, I doubt it would detract from your experience. One thing I want to warn you about is rape. This book is about rape, no way around it. Some of the descriptions are disturbing. If you have been the victim of this crime in the past, I would skip this book. All other thriller lovers you might want to find this book a spot on your "to be read" list.


No comments:

Post a Comment