Saturday, December 5, 2020

What Lies Between Us by John Marrs


Hello everyone. I hope you and your loved ones are all well.

Have you ever done anything to a family member that perhaps wasn't so nice?  When we were kids, I was fighting over a hula hoop with one of my sisters.  We were each pulling on the opposite side of it, probably rendering it more of a hula oval. Since my sister refused to let go, I did, on purpose. My sister went flying backwards and cut her chin on a metal cabinet (we were in the garage). In fact, she had to have several stitches.  Today, she is a married woman with two children and she still will not let me forget our struggle. In my defense, let me veer a bit off topic and tell you about what kind of a kid she was. When we were on a long car trip, we would define our space in the back seat by ridges stitched into the upholstery.  One time the windows were open, the same sister complained to my mother, that my hair blew into her "airspace". Yes, you read that correctly, apparently, my then eight year old sister thought she was NASA....I invaded her airspace.  Okay, now rethink the hula hoop ordeal, see I'm not the only bratty kid!  We all hurt the people we love. Hopefully it's by accident, but sometimes it is on purpose.

I recently read What Lies Between Us by John Marrs. If you haven't read anything by Mr. Marrs you are missing out. I've read and enjoyed three of his books. This is the story of a mother and daughter. Sounds like it might be sweet and uplifting. It isn't, instead it's dark, twisty and has that wonderful thriller tension. Maggie, the mother, doesn't spend her days vacuuming with pearls on while a pot roast cooks for dinner. Nope, Maggie spends her days locked in the attic, beyond locked she is chained.  Her daughter, Nina, is the person imposing the odd imprisonment. The book surrounds discovering why this odd duo behaves as they do and if it will ever change.  It is a quick, page turning and enjoyable read.  You'll never look at your family in the same way.

Christmas is coming, I wonder if Amazon has hula hoops.

No comments:

Post a Comment