Monday, February 15, 2021

Good Neighbors by Sarah Langan



Hello everyone. I hope you're having a great day.

In the past I've told you about the neighborhood I grew up in, how people would call it "peanut butter hill" because once you purchased a house there all you could afford to eat was peanut butter.  Of course, those price standards have long passed. I think my parents paid under $30,000 to have their house built, including a large lot. Let's face it, thirty grand barely gets you a car these days. It was a nice place to grow up, the neighborhood and the town.

I recently read Good Neighbors by Sarah Langan.  I really don't know what to tell you about this book.  It is about the dynamics of a specific neighborhood, one woman dislikes the family next door.  She convinces the residents of other houses on the street to feel negatively towards this family as well.  A sinkhole opens up in the park across the street, complicating matters.  As the story unfolds we learn more about each character, their past and present.  The book is interesting and hard to put down, in an odd way.  This story is dark, very dark and has a shocking ending. When I finished I put the book down feeling bewildered.  I wasn't sure if I liked it or actually hated it.  It has been a week since I finished Good Neighbors and I still don't know how I feel about it.  I guess my advice would be that it's interesting but be very aware it is seriously dark.

So glad we had no sinkholes in my neighborhood, I had enough trauma playing in the sandbox with three younger sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment