Saturday, February 27, 2021

The Minders by John Marrs



Hello everyone.  I hope all is well with you. 

Would you like to know all your government's secrets? Not me, I'm chicken, yep blissful ignorance for me. My dad, however, held top secret clearance. He would go on a business trip and not be able to tell anyone where he was going.  He worked for a major computer company that put systems in various types of vehicles for the federal government.  Funny thing is, my dad was the least tech savvy person I've ever seen, if you asked him: windows were to look out of, apples were to eat and a c prompt was the latest laxative in tv commercials. Yet my mild mannered dad helped negotiate to price for selling and installing these systems.  He went to "areas" that, until recently, the government said didn't exist. He only told me about it after it was declassified, probably good thing... my ignorance is comforting and had my mother known she would have had to have been sedated!

I recently read The Minders by John Marrs. I'm not a fan of fantasy or science fiction but Marrs has just a hint of them in his books but in general they are intense thrillers, which I love. The Minders is about the stealing of government secrets and how to prevent it from happening. The United Kingdom has tried many things which haven't worked so now they are implanting all their secrets into the brain of five people, these are the Minders.  This book is about what happens to these people while trying to protect these secrets and what happens when those people have secrets of their own.  This story is exactly the kind of pace I like, where the author doesn't let you catch your breath with twist after shocking twist.  The book references two of his earlier books The Passengers and The One but they are absolutely not necessary to completely understand and enjoy this book but fans of Marrs will find it amusing. If you love fast paced thrillers, this is for you!

My husband always jokes about my dad going to buy a new car, a normal, everyday customer and the poor salesman who had no idea what Dad did for a living. 

No comments:

Post a Comment