Thursday, March 18, 2021

Every Last Fear by Alex Finlay



Hello everyone.  I hope you're enjoying your day.

When there is a lot of buzz about a book are you driven to read it or do you refuse, not wanting to follow the crowd. If the book is something I "must" read, look out, that book is coming my way and everyone around me must leave me alone until it is complete.  But sometimes when there is a big buzz around a book I wonder how good it really is and how much is hype and I refuse to read it.  However, when it's rumored to possibly be the hit thriller of the summer (you know how I love thrillers), AND when the identity of the author is a secret and everyone is guessing who it might be.  You cave in, order the novel, read it and every time it gets really good you cuss at the book.  How dare anything with such buzz actually be entertaining!

I recently read Every Last Fear by Alex Finlay.  This is the story of a family who has died of carbon monoxide poisoning in Mexico.  There are two surviving sons, Matt is in college in NY and Dan is in prison for killing his girlfriend.  With the FBI's help it's determined that perhaps the family's death wasn't so simple and could somehow be linked to Dan, despite him being in jail. The writing is fast paced, weaving easily from the past to present day, pushing us to discover what really happened and why.  Often the chapters end on a cliff hanger, which propels the reader forward for answers.  While the story includes government and police corruption, cartels and a boy that won't take no , be assured that these often unpleasant topics are brief and are necessary to the story.   

Okay, I admit it, I really enjoyed this book, I didn't want to but I did. Now I'll go hang my head in shame for following the crowd, at least it was to a book store.

ps.  Who do you think the author really is?

No comments:

Post a Comment