Thursday, April 15, 2021

The Drowning Kind by Jennifer McMahon



Hello everyone.  I hope your day is going well.

I have to confess, I am behind on reviews.  I try not to post too many a month, not to pester you.  How many times do you want to read these before I make your teeth itch or you roll your eyes at what I'm saying for the gazillionth time? (My mother would say not to do that or they'll stay that way.) The issue is that I've read so many books lately. Thrillers are making me very happy.  It seems for the longest time we've had lots of domestic thrillers, you know, wife is secretly someone else, hubby is a serial killer, or the kindly next door neighbor has fifteen bodies planted in his garden hoping they'll fertilize his roses.  Aah you say, but April you love those. I do indeed! However, all of the sudden there are a batch of books out that take my thriller addiction out of the neighborhood and into interesting locations or have a smidge of supernatural thrown in...something different.  Honestly, I'm reading them faster than I am reviewing them as I'm basically having thriller-paloosa here. Still I'll try not to slap gobs of reviews up but sometimes I can't help myself.

I recently read The Drowning Kind by Jennifer McMahon.  This book features two time lines, the current day and 1929. Both time periods have a story that surrounds a natural spring.  Supposedly you can talk to this water, tell it what you want, basically make a wish and it comes true.  But the water gives at a price.  

In the current day there are two sisters Lexie and Jax.  Lexie has been written off by Jax, who believes her sister is having mental issues and has stopped taking her medication. In fact, Jax is receiving multiple calls from Lexie that are gibberish, so they go ignored.  Sadly, shortly after, Jax discovers that Lexie has died, drowned in the pool on the family's estate she now owns. When returning home for the funeral, Jax is flooded with memories of her sister and the beloved pool, remembering what a strong swimmer she was.  Things are complicated when Jax finds the estate house a disaster, things are everywhere, dirty dishes, belongings, and tons of paper.  It seems that before she died Lexie was researching the estate and her own family.  Did that play a part in her mental break or death?

In 1929, Will and Ethel are newly weds and very much want to have a baby.  Unfortunately Ethel hopes each month that she is pregnant only to be disappointed.  Will decides to ease the stress by taking them away to a beautiful resort.  Ethel discovers that the waters of the resort are supposed to heal, cure and may even be able to grant wishes.

Clear your schedule for this one.  Opening the book will have you instantly hooked and you'll ignore your loved ones until it's over.  Loved this, hope you do too.

1 comment:

  1. Reminds me I have to call the pool company!

    ReplyDelete