Monday, June 21, 2021

Churchill's Secret Messenger by Alan Hlad



Hello everyone.  I hope you're having a great day.

I recently received a book in the mail and before I could even get the package fully open my husband announced it was his.  Was it his? No, but something about this book intrigued him.  He loves most things spy related....hmmm....maybe I should start wondering about HIM!  Anyway, he is not a big pleasure reader so when he wants to read something, I encourage it.  Turns out he was quite mesmerized by this story, which he says is haunting.  I asked him to tell you about it.  His review follows.

I recently read Churchill's Secret Messenger by Alan Hlad. Set in the early days of World War II, it's about a young English woman who's recruited into a clandestine service to pose as a typical French citizen. Armed with her training, a few tools of the spy trade, and her prior familiarity with Paris, she finds herself parachuting into occupied France to courier coded communications between British Intelligence and the French Resistance. Having had a general interest in spies and cryptology, several books of the genre have made their way to my shelves. 

I now find myself with a difficult task. Without revealing any more of the plot, I wish to highly recommend this work. I realize it's a great deal to ask, to advise readers to avoid any other reviews, and not even to read the jacket blurbs, just to dive in and read it. Simply put, this book transcends the usual spy novel, and will not be one forgotten by the reader.   

No comments:

Post a Comment