Sunday, May 8, 2022

The Children on the Hill by Jennifer McMahon




Hello everyone.  I hope your day has been great.

I have to tell you about my grandfather on my mother's side.  My grandmother was wonderful, but she deserves her own telling, so I'll do that later.  My grandfather was a boisterous yet humble person.  He was tall and thin and had pretty blue eyes, the only in our family.  As a child he moved from a town with about ten houses in PA to the bustling area of upstate NY.  I'm laughing because where I grew up was a small town but compared to PA, I'm sure it was very metropolitan.  It was certainly important industry wise, which is why many came there.  My grandparents owned a small grocery store when he was pulled into World War II.  He was put in the Navy on an LST, that's one of those boats that the back opens to deliver tanks, etc.  He was a cook.  Not by trade, they trained him.  When he went home it was a big deal to have served.  In fact, my grandfather became mayor.  Instead of telling you more I'll just say he was a really good person that everyone liked, and he liked everyone.  He even liked my husband when hubby complained about the potholes and asked him to use his influence to get them fixed.

I recently read The Children on the Hill by Jennifer McMahon. I've also read The Drowning Kind and The Invited by the same author and enjoyed them greatly. In this story we are treated to a look at 1978, a family living in Vermont, a grandmother and two of her grandchildren Eric and Violet.  They live near a grand house affectionately called The Inn.  This is a place that takes care of people with mental health issues.  It is very exclusive and very successful.  The grandmother, Dr. Helen Hildreth, is the genius that runs the facility.  One day the doctor brings home a young mute girl to join their small family.  She thinks the interaction with her grandchildren will help bring young Iris out of her shell and aid in her healing.  Soon Iris becomes a vibrant part of the family that the grandchildren now consider their sister.  

The story also features 2019 where young women are disappearing.  A famous celebrity "monster hunter" is on the trail, since each missing woman reports seeing a monster before vanishing.  Soon she suspects the worst, that her sister is somehow wrapped up in these tragedies.  Yet, all is not as simple as it appears.  Secrets that have been long hidden are painfully recovered.

This book was a quick read.  The two timelines played off each other perfectly, driving the story forward.  If you are a fan of McMahon, you will recognize her "to the point" yet involved, storytelling. As always, the book leaves the reader satisfied at least until the next title is released.  Highly enjoyable.

I guess I'll still lay claim to my grandfather, even though he was a big old troublemaker, disregard that he said the same thing about me!

No comments:

Post a Comment