Sunday, June 12, 2022

Things We Do in the Dark by Jennifer Hillier




Hello everyone.  I hope your day is going well.

I just got off the phone with my sister, one of the triplets.  She would like to remain nameless, so I'll call her....Broomhilda.  Broomhilda is upset because she is making one of my grandmother's recipes for chicken that called for a small cheese cracker, like Cheese Nips.  Apparently, the company has reduced the size of the box and what used to cover several chicken breasts with ease now has left her short.  She has her mouth set for some of my grandma's cooking but feels persecuted by the ever-shrinking grocery sizes.  Staying on the grocery palooza topic, Broomhilda still has her Christmas cookie dough still in her freezer as she ran out of time to bake during the holidays.  It seems that getting your hands on Hershey Kisses in June isn't as easy as you might think.  Hey, what are you giving me the stink eye for?  I'm 600 miles away, and I did, after all, give her the lovely name of Broomhilda.  Please don't write to me saying your name or your favorite aunt's name is Broomhilda.  I mean no disrespect.  My parents apparently were experiencing a hippie moment naming me after a month.

I recently read Things We Do in the Dark by Jennifer Hillier.  I've never read anything by this author before, despite people raving about her for years.  This is the story of a woman, Paris, married to an older man.  Her celebrity husband used to be a famous comedian, who appeared on a very successful television show.  When he is found dead and the police believe that she killed him, the story really jumps into high gear.  We discover that Paris isn't really who she says she is, then wonder how that will affect her case.

Ruby, a murderer, who has been in prison for twenty-five years is about to be unexpectedly released.  Ruby knows all about Paris and is threatening to tell all her secrets.  Now Paris must confront an evil past and figure out how to live in the present.

This book was so entertaining.  The writing is smooth, concise, and stays on topic.  I can't believe I waited this long to read something by Jennifer Hillier.  I am a fool and have been missing out.  I grabbed this book, while in the middle of another, thinking I would read just the first paragraph or two to get an idea of the writing style.  A day later, I can't put Things We Do in the Dark down until I've finished every last word.  Like the old Maxell House commercial, it was good til the last drop. Now, I'm hunting down the back list for this author as I must read them all.

Just for the record, by the time you've read this, my sister likely won't be talking to me. In addition, she'll be frantically creating her own blog and thinking of a substitute name for me.  I prefer something classic, with a sparkly dress and a wand with a star on the end, Broomhilda you can call me Glenda the good.

No comments:

Post a Comment