Thursday, January 26, 2023

Just the Nicest Couple by Mary Kubica



Hello everyone.  I hope this week has been great.

Lately it seems that normal things have snazzy new words.  Hiking, even for an afternoon, used to mean something rugged. You definitely wore a heavy backpack loaded with the latest survival gear, despite the hike being only two hours.  You also wore heavy brown, unyielding, boots. When on an official hike, you were in danger of being eaten by a mountain lion, billy goat, or at the minimum you encountered a flirtatious Big Foot. When I was a kid, we hiked all day, without the lifesaving gear.  We roughed it walking, oh excuse me, hiking to the creek where we dared walk in the water discovering waterfalls and crayfish.  You wanna talk about rugged, try walking around in soaking wet sneakers the rest of the day, they squished and squeaked with every step, then there was the wrath of Mom. Forget mountain lions, ruined brand new sneakers was a capital offense.

I recently read Just the Nicest Couple by Mary Kubica.  I read one of her other books, Local Woman Missing, and didn't like the end.  This book is different.  Just the Nicest Couple is the story of two couples, that are friends.  Nina is a schoolteacher and her husband, Jake, is a surgeon.  Lily is also a teacher, and her adoring husband is Christian.  Sadly, Jake goes missing.  Lily tells Christian that she was on the "hiking" trail and saw Jake.  Something bad happened.  Christian tries to help his wife with this dangerous and tricky situation.  As with most thrillers, all is not what it seems.  The reader is presented with multiple scenarios as the picture constantly morphs.

This book was so fun.  The ending was fantastic.  I'm so glad I didn't give up on this author.  The story was fast paced, simply told, easy to read, and interesting.  A fun thriller!

I best hike my way to the kitchen to do dishes. I better find one of those survival backpacks, I'll need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment