Thursday, March 9, 2023

The London Seance Society by Sarah Penner



Hello everyone.  I hope you are having a wonderful day.

When I was a child, there was a group of neighborhood kids that would all play together.  Since, generally, seven-year-olds can't drive they must play with those that live close by.  One time I was going over to Laura's house, who lived diagonally across the street.  I was very excited as Laura had received a Ouija board. I made the enormous mistake of mentioning the afternoons plans to my mother.  She became very alarmed.  Mom launched into a big talk about why you shouldn't play with Ouija boards, that you never know what will come through and it is best not to even be around them.  I spent the afternoon playing a rousing game of Yahtzee with my mom while my friends all explored the supernatural.  Looking back on it, I don't know if my mom's reaction was because of religion (she wasn't super religious) or did she have some experience of her own.  I wish I had thought to ask her, but when you have to concentrate on getting five dice to match it is hard to entertain ghost chat.

I recently read The London Seance Society by Sarah Penner.  This is the author of The Lost Apothecary, which I liked very much and reviewed here.  This book, like her previous takes a nod from history.  The setting, for the most part, is 1873 Victorian London.  It is about a men's club that supports delving into the supernatural through seances.  Told from two points of view, one belongs to Mr. Morley who works for the Society.  The other side is told from Lenna Wickes, who is studying under renowned medium Vaudeline D'Alaire who specializes in discovering the identity of murders.

Despite having left England because of being in danger, Vaudeline is asked to return as there has been a murder at the Seance Society.  Her talents are needed to get to the bottom of things.  Regardless of the possibility of harm, Mr. Morley convinces Vaudeline and Lenna to return to London to help him solve this disturbing crime.

This suspenseful story is dripping with atmosphere.  Did you ever see the Harry Potter movie where Harry dips his head in the pensieve and he is completely transported and enrobed in a different world? That is how complete the atmosphere is in this book.  Even with the complete immersion, there are not endless pages of description, yet the feel, the sounds, the smells, are complete.  The story moves quickly and carefully letting the mystery unfold, as we get to know and care about the characters involved.  While the tension builds so do the twists.  This book educates the reader about the occult during the late 1800's in the most interesting manner.  

If you like strong female characters, you will appreciate both Penner's books.  This story checks so many boxes and is definitely worth a read.  Very enjoyable, despite the haunting case of book hangover it gave me!

No comments:

Post a Comment