Saturday, April 1, 2023

The Soulmate by Sally Hepworth



Hello everyone.  I hope you are having a wonderful day.

Have you met your significant other yet?  I met my husband in college.  He sat in front of me in class and would turn around and stare at me.  It was so obvious I thought certainly he must be interested in the girl sitting next to me, nobody in their right mind would be so conspicuous.  Nope, that was my husband's game plan, pester me until I agreed to go out with him.  In fact, we still note April 1st as the first time he actually spoke to me, saying "What's it like to have a month named after you?" He still says the same thing the first of every April.  We've been together now for decades.  I'm not sure if there is one soulmate for each person but I do know I am the only person on the face of this planet that will put up with his shenanigans.

I recently read The Soulmate by Sally Hepworth.  I've read several of Hepworth's other books including The Good Sister, The Mother-In-Law, and The Younger Wife.  I enjoyed them all. The Soulmate is about a couple, Pippa and Gabe who own a house by the ocean.  It's not quite a "grab your flipper feet and beach ball" kind of beach house.  This property has a cliff, high above the ocean below.  In fact, that specific location on the cliff is well known as the spot where people come to commit suicide.  Despite the house being occupied by a family with young children, the jumpers continue to come to carry out their wishes.  Thankfully, Gabe has become a great listener and has been able to talk people out of jumping, he really has a knack for it.  One day Pippa sees someone by the edge of the cliff and Gabe races out there to urge the young woman to retreat from the edge.  Pippa stays inside the house to keep her young daughters occupied so they will be unaware of what is transpiring outside.  But, as Pippa catches a glance, she sees the young woman plunge over the edge and what is perhaps most disturbing is that it looks like her husband's hands were in the position not to save her but to push her. As the death is investigated relationships begin to unravel and long kept secrets come to light.

This book is typical from Sally Hepworth, she tells you a simple story in a straight-forward way.  You are certain you know what is going on, everything is plainly right there in front of you and yet she offers twists that should have been considered but weren't.  She is an expert at the "gotcha".  This story was interesting, fun, and a pleasant, easy read. This one will have you giving both the ones you love and your enemies a second look.

By the way, yes, it is nice having a month named after me.

No comments:

Post a Comment