Tuesday, May 28, 2024

If Something Happens to Me by Alex Finlay




Hello everyone. I hope your day is wonderful so far.

I'm gonna be honest here.  I have no stories even remotely related to today's book.  Once you read it, you'll consider that a good thing. You know, whenever I say "a good thing" I immediately think of Martha Stewart.  Now that just bugs me.  Why should a few simple everyday words be owned by someone.  Okay, before you shake your finger at me, I know she doesn't own them.  It was just a slogan.  A good one if you ask me, here I am writing about it.  Hubby says I am an advertiser's dream.  I wouldn't say I am that influenced by ads but I am highly influenced by product reviews. This is particularly true at Sam's Club.  Those shoppers know what they are talking about.  I think he means because of jingles, look it up youngsters. I can't believe I'm old enough to call anyone youngsters, being 15 seems like yesterday. Anyway, I can sing you decades old Coca-Cola jingles, Band-Aids, Oscar Meyer, Libby's, lots more, even things like "the new Mount Airy Lodge." Now I want to take the Coke/Pepsi challenge. The other day I looked up who made my parents pretty bar glasses, with gold leaves on them.  Yes, back then in the caveman days, lots of people had a bar in their family room...don't you judge my parents.  If you knew my sisters you would consider my parents saints.  In addition, you'd be surprised that those glasses survive and aren't worn out due to the need for scotch and sodas.  Naturally, I was angelic.  Don't chuckle, that is absolutely true.  My point was the glasses were made by...drum roll please...Libby's. I'll be quiet and stop rambling (no cheering).

I recently read If Something Happens to Me by Alex Finlay. This is the story of several people and how their lives are connected Everything revolves around a terrible night five years ago.  Ryan and Ali are on a date, when they go to park in a remote area they are attacked.  Ryan is ripped from the car and hit over the head.  When he is lucid, he finds that not only is Ali missing but so is the car.  Ryan becomes encircled in a cloud of suspicion. Now, in the present day, people have moved on.  Ryan has changed his name and is in law school at Georgetown.  While on a group trip in Italy, he sees the man who attacked him and Ali.  Around the same time, Ali's car is finally found at the bottom of a lake in their hometown.  Ali isn't in the car but instead are the bodies of two unidentified men and a note in Ali's handwriting with "If something happens to me..." written on the envelope. Clearly this was more than a simple attack.

This wide and varied story comes together smoothly and easily.  It features short chapters, encouraging reading "just one more section." This makes for a quick read.  The book features several major twists, leading to a satisfying end.  An entertaining novel, Finlay's best so far.

Many thanks to Minotaur Books and NetGalley for the advanced copy and fun ride.

By a show of hands, who remembers Crazy Eddie commercials? If you are a NYer, I know you do.  Afterall, his prices are "insane."  Okay, I'll stop...really... but I'm humming "I'd like to teach the world to sing, in perfect harmony...".

No comments:

Post a Comment