Friday, July 12, 2024

One Perfect Couple by Ruth Ware



Hello everyone.  I hope you're having a great day.

Have you ever been asked one of those "if" questions?  I'm sure you have.  One of the most popular is: "What would you take if you were on a deserted island?"  People always say something stupid, like my curling iron or my boyfriend or chocolate.  Ask me.  Go ahead.  Ask me.  "April, what would you take on a deserted island?"  A BOAT! Hmmm maybe a satellite phone, water, food, tools.  I shouldn't make fun of how people answer.  If you asked my nerdy but hunky husband, he would take his model trains and relish the idea of finally having peace and quiet to run them. Now THAT is the way to clean out a bunch of the house in one shot!

I recently read One Perfect Couple by Ruth Ware.  I've been a big Ruth Ware fan.  I've read everything she has written and liked almost all, in fact, one of my all-time favorite books is The Death of Mrs. Westaway.  However, I realllllly disliked One by One. Thankfully, that was a fluke with me and my affection for Ruth Ware continues. 

One Perfect Couple is about couples that are going to a private island that is being made into a resort.  It hasn't opened yet and the structures and infrastructures aren't completed. Still, it's isolated and the tropical setting is considered optimal for a reality tv show. While the contestants don't really know what to expect, they are excited and happy to get started.  Everything appears bright as they are moved to the island on a yacht, then begin to experience the stunning island.  

The location quickly loses its beauty when a terrible storm hits, causing injuries and damage.  Suddenly the contestants find themselves cut off from any contact with the outside world.  The yacht with the production crew on board can't be found.  Their cell phones and all electronics had already been confiscated for the show.  Isolation quickly becomes very real, so does the need not to become a TV star but to actually survive.

While this book has a gracious plenty of characters, we begin by following, scientist, Lyla and boyfriend, actor, Nico.  The reader sees their audition process and their interworking as a couple.  While you might think the story as a whole has too many people to keep track of, don't.  You get the feel for who is who very quickly, as the characters are pretty unique from each other. The story moves quickly and like The Death of Mrs. Westaway, the setting becomes the biggest character.  Ware places you there giving just enough description to allow you to make the location your own, drawing you back into the story every time you stop reading.

A fun, gasp worthy book. Perfect for summer vacation, particularly a trip to the beach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment