Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Bring Me Back

A few weeks ago, June 19th to be exact, B.A. Paris' new book Bring Me Back was released. I was very excited as I have read and enjoyed both of her previous books, Behind Closed Doors and The Break Down. I implored my husband to pick it up at the bookstore near his office on release date. I must read it immediately. Finally after several deeps breaths, who am I kidding practically hypervenillating, I said no. I would wait. I have tons of brand new books here waiting, hell begging to be read. I would wait until this came out in paperback or when not in such a precarious position as to be crushed by my own stack of to be read books.

Alas, along came the dreaded Barnes and Noble 20% off coupon. Getting such a current release hard back for on $13 must be a sign, it is fate, meant to be. We were destined to become story-reader soul mates. Well, I've finished it and I'm unsure of our current status. If I had to purchase it again, I would...so I consider that a recommendation, but somethings keep nagging at me. Without a plot rehash I'll just say a man and his girlfriend on a trip, pull into a rest stop. He returns from the bathroom and she is missing. The story flashes forward 12 years and the same man (named Finn, if that matters), is about to be married, to the woman who disappeared sister. I don't know, my husband is very close to my family, I can already see him saying "ewe", not that he doesn't adore my sisters but not in a creepy incest kind of way.

Anyway, the story leads you to believe that the original girlfriend might still be alive and stalking Finn and her sister, his current love interest. Sounds super interesting. One of my pet peeves is when books yammer on about topics that don't matter to the story or rehash the same thing over and over. I have a lot to read (see leaning tower of to be read books above), and I want authors to be very respectful of my time. This book seemed to spend a lot of time pondering who it could be sending clues to Finn. He goes over the same people in his head repeatedly. That gets on my nerves and makes me feel like the story needed something else in the story line to take up space instead of me obsessing about Finn obsessing. Then there is the end. I don't want to spoil it for you but it kind of hit me like the Sopranos fade to black, it was neat and interesting, don't get me wrong and a great story idea but I kind of felt a teensy bit cheated, like he would have known and to say he had no idea is insincere.

None the less, I still liked to book very much. I will still try and show some self control the next time B.A. Paris releases a book and wait for the paperback or purchase the kindle version...at least until I have a bad day or a good day and MUST consol or reward myself with her newest book.

No comments:

Post a Comment