Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine

I don't know why I always say I'm a thriller girl. Well, yes I do, I gravitate toward thrillers, but actually I like any great book. There are so many interesting books out there, so little time. Insert mental clip of Burgess Meredith saying "that's not fair, that's not fair" here. If you don't know what I'm talking about, shame on you...and you call yourself a book lover.  Go find a copy of the Twilight Zone, episode Time Enough At Last. Be enlightened!

Anyway, in the realm of housewifery (?), my new vacuum arrived (I know you were so concerned, practically holding your breath, checking here daily, "OMG did she get the vacuum, I'm so concerned" said you.) It is here, but has to be put together. Despite it being here for days, it is not together yet. In the realm of procrastination I am successful! Shocking, I know. I finished a wonderful book called Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine by Gail Honeyman.

This story follows Eleanor who is an awkward, completely socially inept, young woman.  We find out why she is the way she is, about her horrific mother who calls her weekly, what has happened in her past, and how she slowly starts to bloom. This book will have you in tears one minute and literally laughing out loud the next. The story is character-centric, so it is imperative that the characters be well-developed and the reader becomes invested in them. The author does a great job here. The story is beautifully told and one of those you find hard to shake days after you've finished reading it.

Well, enough book chat, better get on the dumb vacuum thing. Hubby better not give me any grief over it or I'll give him a little Eleanor, and don't think I can't do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment