Thursday, August 2, 2018

Haunting...

I just read The Dream Daughter, by Diane Chamberlain. This book, published by St. Martin's Press will be for sale October 2, 2018.

I was nervous about reading this book. It has time travel and medical stuff, both of which I completely avoid. I was absolutely mesmerized by this book, reading it in three days when I had other things I should have been accomplishing.

This is the story of Carly, a young physical therapist who loses her husband in Vietnam, but discovers that she is carrying his child. Happy to have that remaining piece of him, Carly is crushed to hear that the baby has a fatal heart flaw and will die right after birth. There is help, however, in the form of Carly's brother-in-law, Hunter, who has traveled back in time to 1970 and stayed there because of his love for Carly's sister and their young child. Hunter proposes teaching the pregnant Carly to time travel, sending her to 2001, where she might be able to get the baby's heart fixed while still unborn producing a normal, healthy child.

The story moves quickly, keeping the attention on the small cast of characters. Carly and family are completely endearing. The ending is a surprise and perfection, completely satisfying. I am struggling as I don't want to give the story away, but it is interesting and beautifully written. It makes you wonder what you would do for the person you love. When does that love become selfish? Best of all this is one of those kind of books that lingers, staying with you, maybe forever.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great .. I probably would have skipped that as I skip most books that hop back and forth . But ... will give this a go

    ReplyDelete