Monday, August 20, 2018

The Summer Wives

A couple of months ago I read a great book by three authors, one of which is a favorite of mine, Karen White. I loved it, but more about that title in another review. When July's months Book of the Month choice list came out, I zeroed in on a familiar name....one of the other two authors of that story I enjoyed so much. The novel is The Summer Wives by Beatriz Williams. Believe it or not, I consulted hubby about which title to get. The thriller, as always, had me drooling. What if reading a whole book by Beatriz Williams activated by raging case of "whole set-itis", requiring me to have a complete set of something, or in the case of books, read everything by an author? Let's face it, I need another author to follow like I need another hole in the head. (Side note, what an ugly saying. )Since you're reading a book blog, I'm sure you understand.  In any case, hubby urged me to get out of my thriller rut and venture on to The Summer Wives. For the record, I consider my love of thrillers to be loyal passion, not a rut, but I'm not arguing with someone who brought me a gift of a book last week.

The Summer Wives is about the differences between rich and poor, specifically on an island on the northeast United States. It kinda reminds me of the old mansions in Newport. Got it? While not the author's point, it also raised themes for me like 'us versus them', and 'locals versus visitors'. I live near a famous resort area. Tourists invade by the thousands in the spring, summer and fall. Traveling costs go up, traffic is tied in knots, restaurants are inaccessible. In short, it's a pain. However, thought must be given to the privilege of living in an area that people spend huge amounts of money to visit. In addition, the local economy would crumble without these tourists, willing to shell out up to $20,000 for a week in a "cottage", then more for food, souvenirs and let's not forget booze.

I know you think I have lost it and have no point, but I do. This book actually translated into issues in my own life, not intended, but really interesting. I've been reminded to be more grateful. In any case, Beatriz Williams weaves a story, not a page turner, but just a good old fashioned story about people. It has the ocean, a great big old house, a great lighthouse, lots of New England-ness, and a murder mystery. It is very interesting the way the story unfolds and despite appearing fairly straightforward there are several surprising twists. The writing and pace are perfect for the plot and kept me coming back for just one more quick chapter, then another and another. Yes, this was a very enjoyable read. Hubby gets an A+ for insisting that I make this my BOTM choice. Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to start looking at all the other books written by my new pal, Beatriz Williams. I can't help it, it's a sickness that I'm not interested in curing.

No comments:

Post a Comment