Monday, September 3, 2018

Our Kind of Cruelty

Hello out there. It's labor day, hope you've been enjoying your holiday. Many thanks to all those manning the stores to offer great sales and keep the economy spinning. An extra wink and nod to those working at book stores, of course. We were grilling the traditional burgers and dogs when hubby decided to try his hand at salmon. Now salmon is one of my favorites, so the thought of it grilled over charcoal sounded delicious. He has a new grill this year with heavy duty cast iron grates so is experimenting and gaining confidence quickly. To wrap this up, it was unbelievably good. To hell with hamburgers and hot dogs, bring on the fish (said very few people ever but I did today). Okay, enough household tasks chat, let's get down to business.

Ever read Our Kind of Cruelty by Araminta Hall? It was offered on Book of the Month several months ago and I passed. People said it was very dirty with lots of bondage-ish type parts. To be honest, I'm 50 Shades of Greyed out! Then I kept hearing it was quite the thriller. So then, naturally, I had to buy it for more money because I just have absolutely no self control....honestly my tbr (to be read) pile tops 90 books...no self control.  Now that I have MORE money invested in this book than I had to I am determined to read it immediately.

As usual, I am not restating the jacket, but love how this book starts one way then plants seeds of doubt.  First you think the main character, Mike, is a bit nutty, thinking his married ex-girlfriend got married to someone else as part of their "game". Now who would think someone would go that far? It's silly. Nobody would.  Did you read this book? Did you think V, short for Verity, was still playing? Nah. To be my normal practical housewifey self, it's too darn expensive...weddings, divorces, not to mention all that work. Who has the time or energy? I'm shaking my head at the computer screen, nope, no way. V was out. She was fed up with Mike. I am completely convinced from everyday experience and the book. Then the author introduces mean old Mr. Doubt. Loved it. I'm confused. Could I be wrong? Could V actually be bonkers and have gotten married while still playing? I don't know.

Ever see the 1960's Star Trek episode with Harcourt Fenton Mudd, where Spock tells the robot chicks everything he says is a lie. They then wonder if everything you say is a lie how can you be telling the truth, they get caught in a loop then their heads practically blow off. That is this book as doubt slowly creeps it's way in. You think you have a firm grip on what is what but then......maybe...well.....??? There really isn't much dirty about this book, but there is an interesting read here. It is well written, fast paced, stays on point and moves you quickly to the end. Speaking of the end, it is fantastic, I still think about it and I read this book about a month ago.  Mmmmm…..I want to add more about the ending but I'm going to try that self control thing for YOUR reading enjoyment. You're welcome. You'll thank me at the end!


No comments:

Post a Comment