Wednesday, October 10, 2018

The Wicked Deep

Hello, hope you all are well and enjoying your fall. Perhaps you are doing what so many readers are, celebrating the cool weather with some spooky books. To be honest, it never occurred to me to read creepy books near Halloween. I don't know why, I reread A Christmas Carol before Christmas. I've also started getting one of those cute little holiday romances for the last few years. Though I'm not a huge romance novel lover I get sucked in by the very idea of holiday love and the always festive cover. Kind of proves hubby's idea that I am an advertiser's dream.

This year I started thinking about all the scary books on my "to be read" list. Who knew I had so many! I have Stephen King (yes, again, I never give up on him), his son with a book about some possessed box, a writer from Australia that writes gobs of haunted house books, and several books about witches. Now witches are not really my thing and if they were, my preference would be for Glenda the good. Who wouldn't want that dress, cool wand with the star and to travel by heel clicks. Obviously I haven't read the Wizard of Oz. Anyway, I seem to often pick up witch books because of my sisters. Two of the three are Salem addicts. They go to Salem Massachusetts every year for Halloween. They go to a big ball, drink pumpkin martinis, the works. Not my thing but potato po-taa-to. Maybe I always grab these books so I can pass them on to them for their reading enjoyment. You know, any excuse to buy books.

So, I just finished reading The Wicked Deep by Shea Ernshaw. Since the story revolves around teenagers I suspect this might be technically a young adult book, although there is cussing and unmarried sex. The story is about a cursed town. The town, Sparrow, is cursed because 200 years ago they drowned 3 witches. Although I am still not clear if they actually were witches. They sold perfume and men liked them. Using that threshold everybody at the makeup counter in every department store, at Ulta and Sephora is conjuring some kind of spell. Thinking of past credit card bills, that could actually be true so that is a bad example. Anyway, every year these witches come back to kill boys as revenge.

I went into this book with an open mind but there was that little voice whispering Hocus Pocus (which I'm also reading). I was pleasantly surprised. I really liked this book. I don't know why I get some stupid idea about a book before reading it. I'm always wrong and the book is usually wonderful. This book was completely original, had an interesting story line, some thriller worthy twists, and a plot that moved quickly. The writing was good and did not meander. A great read with a very satisfying ending.

Go grab that Harry Potter wand that I know you bought in secret and accio yourself a copy of The Wicked Deep.

No comments:

Post a Comment