Thursday, October 11, 2018

Cooking for Ghosts by Patricia V. Davis

Sometimes it is hard to imagine what people are into, what their interests are. I'm not talking those "internet" type interests, minds out of the gutter people and eyes up here. If you read this blog you know several things about me, I am a housewife that buys way too many books, I like to cook but detest cleaning.  I am an Olympic quality, championship style, procrastinator, often, to enable me to read the ending of some great book. You might think given all the wifey stuff, I might have a thing for collecting recipes or a certain kind of china. You'd be wrong, although, for the record, I will gladly accept any good recipe.

I grew up with an inground, heated pool. My sisters often had their friends over swimming and had pool parties for their birthdays. I was always a strong swimmer, but during high school my mother insisted I become certified as a lifeguard, which I did. She could then relax at those numerous pool parties and even tell parents that there was a lifeguard attending. You might find it odd that I have developed a fear of deep, dark water. It freaks me out. You might find it even odder that I have a thing for ships. Yes, ships. I am fascinated by vessels in the navy and have been on several, from aircraft carrier to submarine. I've even seen the famous concrete ships in two locations (google it if necessary they are totally cool).

What I find the most interesting is the old ocean liners. Not the ones of today that are top heavy, odd looking things. I mean the old elegant ships. The kind of ship you'd make a transatlantic crossing on. You know, black on the bottom with a ring of white around the top. How sharp is that? In fact, I'm more than interested, I'm obsessed with the liner SS United States. It was built in Virginia at famous Newport News Shipbuilding. It set the record for fastest transatlantic crossing (New York to England) and still holds the record to this very day! The ship, designed by William Francis Gibbs, was meant to be fireproof with very little wood on board, even down to aluminum coat hangers. When air travel became more popular the SS United States was removed from service. The furnishings were stripped and sold at auction. I was so fortunate to go to a restaurant on the Outer Banks that had much of the furniture. I saw the stool where Marylyn Monroe sat at the bar and the actual bar. I ran my hand down the smooth railings. I ate dinner on the table and sat in the chairs from the main dining room. One time I stuck my hand under the crisp white tablecloth to find a cork wedged in the underside lip of the table. I often think of that silly cork, wondering what it would testify to if it could.  Sadly, the SS United States doesn't sail anymore and is docked in Philly, hopefully to be turned into a floating hotel and event space, turning a blind eye to those who don't care for history and call for it to be scrapped.  I hope that terrible day never comes. I was given a plaque of the time trial records of the winning speed from the office of an executive at Newport News Shipbuilding. I have stationery and a room key, lots of little things. Not related to the SS United States but another legendary ocean liner, I also have a post card mailed from the Lusitania before it was sunk by a German torpedo. You think I'm kidding, but seriously, I am a regular housewife that is now afraid of water but fascinated by ships. I can see you shaking your head from here.

Imagine my absolute joy when I was given a copy of Cooking for Ghosts by Patricia V. Davis. It is part one of The Secret Spice CafĂ© trilogy. It is about THE QUEEN MARY! Yes, I'm yelling. It has cooking (see above, yes cooking, no cleaning) and ghosts, and a famous ocean liner. What could be better? Honestly. I know, I know, it is not a thriller. It is thrilling enough....the setting is aboard the Queen Mary!  Are you getting the feel for my excitement? Now despite my major desire to dive into this book, I have been holding it for a bit, waiting until October. Although it is an advanced reader copy the title was actually published in 2016. Otherwise, I would not have held it as it is completely unfair to the author and publisher who were so generous to send it to me. But this one, I waited a bit. Finally, I couldn't stand it and dove in.

I don't know where to start, I have so much to say. This book is beautifully written, it reads smoothly, you will be shocked to know you've flipped pages and that time has passed. It is completely enveloping. For me, the story has three basic components; the ship itself … the exploration and description, the four women that are the main characters … each with their own back story to be told, and the fact that the Queen Mary is haunted. This book features some of the ghosts. Now, each of these components could have gone so wrong. If it were me, I would have described the ship in so much detail, you would have been fast asleep by page 2. The ghosts could have been so hokey and clichĂ©. The woman's stories could have taken over. BUT none of these things happen. The story is told in absolute perfect balance AND each of these parts are sprinkled evenly thoughout. It is just amazing. The characters are imperfect and yet the reader cares for them because of these imperfections and life trials. The ghosts are so believable, at first the characters think they are living people, I might have too if I didn't know the title. The paranormal could have been so overdone, but wasn't.

This book works, from top to bottom, bow to stern, beginning to end. The story is haunting and moving. The descriptions are just enough to pull you in but not enough to overwhelm. Then there is the ending. I was reading it out loud to my husband, by the last three pages, in tears because it was so wonderful. For me, this book will linger for a long time. I will never look at any ship in the same way as Patricia Davis has literally brought them to life for me and I am very grateful.

2 comments:

  1. Patricia's book sounds fascinating. I've stayed in the Queen Mary Hotel--because it's docked in Long Beach as a hotel and it wasn't haunted when I was there. LOL Even more interesting is that my grandmother came to the United States on the S.S. United States. I noticed you enjoy travel related stories and am looking for readers who might want to armchair travel to Hawaii or Vegas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I dislike you immensely and adore you at the same time! I believe that means I am terribly jealous that you stayed at the Queen Mary! Cooking for Ghosts really was amazing, not only the magical setting but just the care the author took with writing the story. It really must have been a beloved effort as that is the way it reads. I hope your grandmother told you all about the SS United States. Sadly, I knew nothing about it until I learned that one of my work colleagues (pre-housewife days) told me about the job he had stripping the interiors of a classic ship. My boyfriend (now hubby) and I spent the next weekend poking around the shipping terminals of Norfolk, VA. Obviously pre 9/11. It was chilling seeing it sitting there, quite and alone. Something I'll never forget. Congratulations on the books! I hope they are huge, who wouldn't want to read about Hawaii or Vegas!

      Delete