Saturday, November 10, 2018

Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty






Hello everyone. Hope you are well. Also, hope you have a hot cup of coffee as I have a bit to say today.

I had the world's best parents. Yes, I know it is a bit like saying my kid is the best, when everyone thinks their own child is the most amazing thing on the planet. Honestly, I had great parents. Despite having four kids they were always a couple. Of course, they constantly had their parental hats on, but it was common to walk past the kitchen and see them leaning against the kitchen sink, kissing...in their 50s. We had a finished basement with fireplace and if the mood struck, they'd be slow dancing while the stereo played and fire crackled, often while it snowed outside. How romantic is that? It is with this never-ending love and adoration for my parents that I must tell you about what my father often gave my mother for a gift. Blue eyeshadow. Now, he gave her gifts all the time, brought flowers, etc. But for regular gift giving occasions, Dad couldn't quite figure it out. Sometimes he got it right, but often you'd find him at the drug store buying blue eyeshadow. Now after many years, my mother, having accumulated every shade from Glacier Blue to Night Sky, began to buy her own gifts. She could do anything creative with thread or yarn from sewing our clothes to knitting hats for the homeless and every kind of needlework. Mom would order herself some needlework kits for her birthday and Christmas and call it a day.

Now, I know you are saying this is a book blog and despite the housewife angle this is a bit more off track than normal. But alas, I give you this story as a gift and a warning. The holidays are fast approaching, and you husbands out there may be looking for a gift for your wife, or your secret girlfriend. Often as a gift of last resort, men these days have progressed past the drug store blue eyeshadow to the spa gift certificate. If your wife is a reader, I warn you to avoid this gift at all costs, especially if your wife is a fan of Liane Moriarty.

The new Liane Moriarty book, Nine Perfect Strangers, has so many of the magical traits readers have come to expect in her books. They are so normal, in character and setting. Wives, husbands, neighbors, PTA meetings, neighborhood parks, cookouts...normal everyday things. People that could be any one of us at any time. That is what makes her books so spellbinding, that it could be me...you.... your wife or husband. In Nine Perfect Strangers, Liane takes her characters to a spa. You know I don't restate plots, read the jacket, but it is not your everyday run-of-the-mill spa. Things are a bit rigid and get more so. If you think spas are all relaxation and facials, guess again.  This book gives us the back story of the characters, as always, and brings them together masterfully. However, it has a bit of a thriller edge. I think this makes the pacing of this book faster than her usual stories. The tension is unfurled slowly but steadily, building to a place you won't see coming. As I've said in the past, I have read all Liane Moriarty's books and enjoyed them all, but I think she constantly is improving. This is my favorite and I think her best.

Now back to you husbands, remember, shop early for something your wife actually wants, perhaps a book like Nine Perfect Strangers. For those of you that are naughty with a girlfriend on the side, may I recommend a 10 day stay at a spa.

1 comment:

  1. I love blue eyeshadow! However, I would not complain if my loved ones brought me books instead or as well 😉 This sounds like a great read - a thriller in a spa!

    ReplyDelete