Friday, November 16, 2018

Nevermoor The Trials of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend






Hello everyone.  You may not believe me, but I know why you come here. You want to read about a book you are interested in and see me yap on about how cleaning the toilet is such a crappy job (ahem, yes, I saw it and yes, it is a bad job I dislike, you probably do too). However, like last time I have to tell you a story that relates to today's book.

I have a niece. She is in her early twenties. My niece was the first "kid" in our family so in an effort to be her favorite aunt I did some things I now don't know whether to be ashamed of or proud of.  Given how many thrillers I read perhaps I should pause here for effect, letting your mind wander. No, these things do not involve shovels, drives to the barren woods, or missing people. Possibly worse. I watched Ren and Stimpy. Think that is bad? Hold on to your chair...I learned all the songs from Blues Clues. Oh, yes, shutter you should! I know the mailbox song, complete with flag arm movement. You want to know about Mr. Salt and Mrs. Pepper, I'm your girl! I know, it is shocking.

When my niece was a teen, I read the Twilight series with her, despite her completely bailing after the first book. I have whole series-itis and had to read all of them. Then there is Harry Potter, we read the whole series together. It was bliss. Sometimes she'd get the book on her own, or it would "magically" appear from Amazon. One time, hubby and I braved the dreaded line at midnight at Walmart. I remember her calling me, saying she had been reading late at night, hidden in the bathroom so as not to bother her family, in tears. She was reading about Dumbledore dying. It was a bond, shared over books that I am so grateful for. No matter how old she gets or where she goes, those shared moments will always be with me and I hope with her.

Now my niece is in a famous design school, either destined for Disney or game design. She can draw, paint, sculpt anything from characters to realistic, from landscape to the intricacies of the human body. Sadly, I don't think she realizes how amazing she is, and she definitely is amazing. My niece is stunningly beautiful both inside and out, not only super creative but absolutely brilliant at math and science. She is funny and sweet, kind and thoughtful. She is the bravest person I know, in so many ways. Despite her young age, she is possibly the most inspiring woman I've ever met and I am in CONSTANT awe.

When I talked to my niece a while ago, we were talking about book genres and she was saying how much she liked fantasy. Given her chosen profession, this is not a surprise. Fantasy is not my favorite. To me it just takes longer to get into a book if I have to go through all that "world building" too.  However, as you've seen in the past sometimes the "buzz" on a book gets the better of me and I have to read it. Such is the case with the kids fantasy book, Nevermoor The Trials of Morrigan Crow, described as being the new Harry Potter.

I loved this book. Thankfully, you are immersed in the story and world easily and quickly. The reader instantly likes and has empathy for the little Morrigan Crow and a chuckle or two for her quick wit and sarcasm. The story progressed quickly, describing just enough of the setting for your brain to take over without over doing it and slowing the plot. Obstacles and tasks are handled efficiently with neither too little nor too much time spent on each one. The pacing is perfection. Needless to say, despite it's 461 pages, I didn't want it to end. And it is a fantasy...I didn't want to end....461 pages...with lots to do at the holidays...461 pages...didn't want to end.  You get the point.

So, Thanksgiving is next week with Christmas close behind. I have cooking galore, cleaning and decorating to do. Something is going to have to go undone. The Nevermoor sequel, Wundersmith: The Calling of Morrigan Crow was released this week. After finishing Nevermoor I had to immediately order it with it's 545 pages. Thankfully, my niece is also great in the kitchen, think I'll leave the cookie baking undone and get her help, she'll understand...maybe I can trade her a book for her help. I know just the one!

2 comments:

  1. That's two more to add to the Amazon basket... I love fantasy, so thanks for the recommendation! 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you love it! Thank you so much for reading. I really appreciate it.

      Delete