Sunday, June 2, 2019

The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren






Hello everyone.

It seems early but it must be summer. I had to turn on the air conditioning. My husband says I'm so cheap I squeak. He's wrong (on a lot of things but I digress). I'm not cheap, I actually spend way too much money. However, I want to spend it on good stuff. Who wants to spend precious cash on utilities when there are wine and books to be purchased? And...read the following the an exaggerated eye roll... let us not forget how I am rolling through dishwashers like most people do underwear. Now that I've managed to work eye rolling, wine and underwear into a book review back to the topic at hand. No not books, my air conditioning. I am a firm believer that no a/c should come on before June 1st and certainly not before my neighbors. (Heat should not be used until November has begun.) I have to be the one to tough it out. Did I mention I'm in NC, where it is hot and so humid even your hair sweats? Well, I am and it is.

I don't think it is the least bit unreasonable to ask for a solid month of pleasant weather in spring and fall to provide utility relief and let me just open the windows. But NO, this year it has been oppressively hot since the first week in May. How dare it! Last week, the temperature hit 100. I said 'to hell with the neighbors' and 'screw the bill' and in a puddle, swearing even my book was sweating, turned on the glorious air. I didn't stand over the grate in the floor letting that cold air billow up my leg like hubby did, but I was tempted. Too much info? I thought we were close! So spring has been gone for a month and summer has begun full force. You know what else has been taking off this year? Summer reading. Have you looked at new releases headed our way? It is absolute reader heaven. So many great books, I'm practically giddy, bouncing up and down while clapping my hands together like a little kid.

My wish list for these books is so long. Let's face it, don't tell the ole' spouse but it's not a wish list, all us readers know what it actually is ....a shopping list. A honest to goodness, check off item by item just like the grocery store, buy everything on it, shopping list. In anticipation of summer read-a-paloosa, I read more books than usual in May and still have so many to tell you about but let's discuss a good one for the beach, lake or even plane. I recently read The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren, my first from this author. I've heard so many people say what a great writer Christina Lauren is, how people practically pace the floor waiting for her next book. Now I know why. I get it. This book is so cute, it's well written, literally laugh out loud funny, and was a pleasure from beginning to end. Someone should have written her name on a post-it and stuck it to my forehead like a banana sticker. I have been missing out.

The Unhoneymooners is about a celebration gone awry where the entire wedding party and all guests get sick from the reception dinner, except the maid of honor and best man. She has food allergies and he hates germ filled buffets so they don't eat the same food as the others. Sadly, this illness will last for days. The bride and groom have a nonrefundable trip to Maui for their honeymoon. The maid of honor and best man take the trip to avoid it going to waste. One problem though, they hate each other. I'm not saying more but the writing is so sharp and as I've already said it is really funny.  The story pushes through with a strong plot not meandering off topic, making for a quick and memorable read.

Now I am wondering if all Christina Lauren's books are this good. Getting my shopping list out, I have a few additions.

** Christina Lauren is actually two authors. Long time friends, Christina Hobbs and Lauren Billings together make the pen name of author Christina Lauren. Makes you wonder if your friends have any hidden talents, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment