Friday, July 26, 2019

Never Have I Ever by Joshilyn Jackson




Hello everyone.

When you were a kid did you ever go to a slumber party?  Okay, I realize sleep overs are more of a girl thing, but you men might need to learn about them for your daughters. At these gatherings girls often play games, spooky ones. Stiff as a Board Light as a Feather comes to mind. Someone lies on the floor, the others encircle that person putting two fingers under the edge of reclining person's body. Then a quiet incantation is repeated, "Stiff as a board light as a feather."  As the verse is chanted, the outside circle of participants lifts the center person who is now magically rigid and light, allowing them to levitate off the floor. Did you do this? I'm a chicken, if I was there when it actually worked I'd scream bloody murder and run away.

One time, I was at a slumber party where we were daring each other to go into a dark bathroom and look into the mirror. There was a mantra we were to say three times and you were supposed to either see a woman standing behind you or scratch your own eyes out. Of the two, I'd prefer the standing woman and less of the extreme itchy eye treatment. We all ended up being too creeped out to take the dare and settled on eating the edge of a dog biscuit. Ah, ain't life grand.

I recently read Never Have I Ever by Joshilyn Jackson. This book will be available on July 30th. This thriller follows a woman, Amy, who has an unusual visitor at the book club she is hosting at her home. It is a new neighbor, Roux.  Roux is not the type of woman the book club is used to, she is much more outgoing, brash even. After inviting herself in, she insists that they don't discuss the book but instead play her version of the game Never Have I Ever. Roux is getting the women to divulge the worst things they've ever done. Secrets are exposed, lives are changed forever. Amy, however, likes her life just the way it is and the only thing she wants changed is Roux out of it.

One of my fellow bloggers wanted to know what I thought of this when I was halfway done. I was unsure how to answer, finally settling on "A bit slow for a thriller, but interesting."  I stick by that answer, but now see the author had a point. She spends a large portion of the beginning of the book discussing Amy's past. Obviously, this slows down the action in the present time, but it is necessary. So when you read this, if you are thinking perhaps this story isn't for you please stick with it. The details of the past come together masterfully and aid in the tension that is building to a shocking end, something I would never have imagined. A very enjoyable read.

I wonder if there are any thrillers about games that are more my speed, like go fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment