Tuesday, July 30, 2019

The Escape Room by Megan Goldin




Hello everyone.

There are many odd things about writing a blog, one is that you really don't know anything about those that are reading it. I don't know if you live in the country or city. Are you a business professional? Are you a housewife, maybe looking for book reviews and cleaning tips...good luck with that...no cleaning here. Yes, I've seen the bathrooms and the dishes in the sink but I must read (and procrastinate). Because of this impersonal kind of communication you may be too young to know some reference I give or find something that amuses me to be ho-hum everyday for you. Why do I mention this? When I was a kid I remember going to New York City for the first time. I recall looking out the hotel room window down at the street and it was so busy, always. Of course we climbed inside the Statue of Liberty, looking out from her crown. We went on a shopping trip as my mom wanted a very specific bedspread that she was certain Gimbels carried. We saw the Rockettes Christmas show at Radio City Music Hall. We also went up to the lookout floor in the Empire State building. I was so young and had never been in a building that high before, the elevator ride seemed to go on forever. I realize this may be an everyday thing for you, but if you haven't been in a skyscraper before it is an usual experience initially. By the time I was in college we were cutting classes to go "into the city" to see a Broadway show, one time almost getting elbowed in the face by Frank Langella (look him up). I digress, let's talk about a book.

I just read The Escape Room by Megan Goldin. This is a thriller about a group of people that work in a cut throat financial merger company in New York City. The story follows a specific team of coworkers. We discover that two of the team members have died and the rest have been called to a team bonding exercise, an escape room, that is an actual elevator in an empty luxury office tower under construction. The elevator is up high, where the one guard can't hear any screaming or pleas for help.   I won't say more, except I hope you aren't claustrophobic. This book is well written and sticks to the storyline. Anywhere the author takes you is absolutely necessary. The reading is quick, easy, and pleasant yet tense, as a thriller should be. There are those books that you want to slow down and savor, this is not one of those books. This novel you want to gobble up whole, just ask me, I read 290+ pages today...a new record for me. Yup, this was a great page-turner from beginning to twisty, satisfying end.

I think the publisher might be able to sell this as an exercise book. After reading this, I bet a lot of people will be skipping the elevator and taking the stairs!

No comments:

Post a Comment