Monday, November 11, 2019

Secret Santa and All He Wants For Christmas by Kati Wilde






Hello everyone.

I have to give you an update on the housewife front. We are still dealing with damage from hurricane Dorian. We finally have a contractor, but he is also re-shingling our four porch roofs at the same time. In this small town, getting a contractor to work on your house is like hitting a huge vein of gold in your front yard. Next to impossible. We have a shortage of plumbers, roofers, siding experts, electricians, and general contractors. I hope these are not becoming dying arts. Despite being near the beach and a huge metropolitan area, we have very few of these talented people. So, when you get someone, you have to put up with a lot, jump through some hoops. Our contractor is in the middle of doing the first floor roofs, two are over porches, two are over bump-outs. First it starts to rain, and the water comes in.  ARRRGH.  Now he is sick and it poured again!  We are supposed to have terrible wind, quite possibly tearing off more of the siding, which was our original damage from the hurricane that remains unfixed.  To say this is frustrating is an understatement!

Lest this get too depressing, I have something positive to report. When I talk about housewife stuff I often discuss my beloved dishwasher that cleaned perfectly but kept breaking. I fought to save it but eventually had to replace my pal since it was fourteen years old. I am happy to say the new dishwasher cleans just as well. It only uses a couple of gallons of water and is some type of super energy saver. Unlike any other dishwasher I've ever had this one is silent. Honestly, you could sleep next to it....or read.  Given the roof and hurricane damage, I've been doing a lot of reading these days, obviously my form of escape.

I recently read two books by the same author, Kati Wilde. I read All He Wants For Christmas and Secret Santa. I had never heard of this author but suddenly kept seeing her name everywhere. Maybe everybody has roof trouble. These books are short, quick hit, romance novels. They certainly follow the romance formula; a couple meet, fall in love, find trouble in paradise, then work things out for a happy ending. Who doesn't like a happy ending? Okay, I admit, I kind of like an evil ending in thrillers but that is just the kind of chicken baking, vacuum avoiding, book reading person I am, consider yourself warned.

Secret Santa is about a wood working company, a poor girl and well off man. All He Wants for Christmas is about a well off girl and a policeman assigned to watch out for her. One thing these books both have in common is sex. I don't mean a sex act within a larger story. That doesn't sound right, these books have a clearly defined story. If you want an elaborate plot, you won't find it here. These books are pretty straight forward. The sex, instead of being a passing part of the story, takes center stage. There are many sexual acts and they are very graphic. If you are shy, these books will make you blush. If you take these on a plane fully expect the person sitting next to you to be reading over your shoulder. Still these novels are light and fun. They are a unique break from heavier reads.

A few things in both these stories got on my nerves. First, the man always has a pet name for the woman and uses it endlessly, baby or angel. It was so prevalent it made me think of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry couldn't remember his girlfriend's name. Also, both women were virgins and men were well endowed. Kati Wilde has written several books, maybe I just happen to pick up books that featured these topics. Perhaps more "research" is necessary.

I think I'll leave these books sitting out, Red Ryder BB gun style, and see what Santa delivers this Christmas.


No comments:

Post a Comment