Saturday, November 16, 2019

The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell





Hello everyone.

I hope you have been having a good week. If you are in the US you are likely braving some really cold weather. Usually cold for this time of year. We've even had snow in coastal North Carolina.. At least we made it until November before turning on the heat. Yes, I know, I am a miser, but hey I need book buying money! Did you see the clouds in the sky part earlier this week? See rays of angelic light shine down in my direction? No, well you missed it! Our hurricane Dorian damage is finally fixed and first floor roofs are complete. Naturally, we are supposed to have a nor'easter today with hurricane force winds again but I'm ignoring it and basking in the end of construction! I was nervous about the whole thing, I can tell because when I am nervous I read more. This week I received and read (in three days, fast for me) a great book.

I just read The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell. I really loved it. I've read several books by this author and have enjoyed them all but this is my favorite, by far. If you read the jacket description, you'll be easily drawn in. This book takes place in three settings and, of course, they all become tied together. A woman, Libby, inherits a house from her birth parents. She knows nothing about them or her early beginnings but is shocked when the house is very valuable despite being in disrepair. At the same time, the reader follows Lucy and her small children, who are all homeless. We learn that Lucy also has ties to the same house. Hmmmm, unusual, an empty mansion and someone that is homeless. Odd.  Lastly, the story travels to more than twenty-five years in the past, told from the perspective of Henry, one of the boys living in the mansion. As the timelines and people move toward each other, mysteries abound.

This book grabs you from the beginning. It features short chapters, which I love. If one area of the story is slower, building details, another will be rocketing forward to leave you on a cliff hanger, a writing trick that keeps me reading. While I would not really consider this a high action thriller, it is very much a page turner. I think you will find it a very quick read. The characters are interesting, likable and are able to really carry this story although The Family Upstairs is chock full of atmosphere. Every time I had a question, thinking I caught the author with a problem, that question was immediately answered as Lisa Jewell well anticipated my concerns. In addition, each time I thought I had the whole novel figured out I was quickly proven wrong. I declared my theory so many times to hubby, holding the book high in the air, he thinks I'm playing King Arthur wielding my sword. I was wrong, pleasantly so. I was left guessing until the last page. I love that, it makes me feel like I am squeezing every penny from my reading dollar.

If you want an action packed thriller, this may not be for you. If you like mysteries or just generally interesting stories this does not disappoint. While nothing like it, this book is so rich in atmosphere it kind of reminds me of Ruth Ware's The Death of Mrs. Westaway. If you are not a Ruth Ware fan, rest assured these books are not even similar in writing style or tale, just creepy vibe.

As a friendly reminder, the holidays are coming and books are super easy to wrap. The Family Upstairs would make a great gift, unless you're about to inherit a boarded up creepy mansion, in that case...happy shopping.

2 comments:

  1. That's such a beautiful front cover too! 😍

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is. Plus now I want to visit the Chelsea neighborhood in London. Looks beautiful. Kind of reminds me of the movie Gaslight. You are so lucky to be able to experience England and the UK. Hope you are well, Nicola. So nice to see your always cheerful comments. Many thanks, as always!

    ReplyDelete