Wednesday, May 26, 2021

How Y'all Doing? by Leslie Jordan



Hello everyone.  I hope you're making your day a great one!

Are you a sucker for an accent?  My niece loves a British accent.  Growing up in upstate NY, I adored that southern "thang.".  We took a lot of vacations south, where my parents loved it and planned to retire.  I think they liked the respect people still had at the time, calling someone Miss or Mr. followed by there first name.  Maybe they liked that life seemed a bit slower, gentler (yes, sadly, I know it often isn't the case today), and the lack of snow.  After a two week trip to Myrtle Beach for Easter break, I decided I was going to marry a southern boy....specifically a pool boy...you know the kid that cleans the pool.  I was aiming high, huh, no southern lawyer or captain of industry, just the captain of chlorine.  

I met my husband in college, and he was not in charge of cleaning any pool but he did work at a hotel desk and rent bikes on the boardwalk.  When he would call me he would always say "hey darlin" with that deep voice and a sultry southern twang.  Needless to say, I melted.  We dated for many years and once he got a corporate job we got married.  His accent got more northern and I started pronouncing words the southern way like in-surance instead of insurance.

I recently read How Y'all Doing? by southerner Leslie Jordan.  If that name sounds familiar it should.  He is the actor that was on Will and Grace for years, was on Cool Kids, American Horror Story, The Help and loads of other shows and movies(check out Boston Legal where he kills people with a cast iron skillet...now that's southern).  In recent years he has a very popular Instagram channel where he opens videos saying "Well sh*t. How y'all doing?" In this cute little book, he discusses Instagram as well as his experiences in being in show business and life as a gay man.  

This book is fun throughout.   It is funny and the writing truly sounds like his voice.  While you won't find a deeply plotted thriller or earth shattering mystery here, you'll find someone with lots of heart that doesn't take himself too seriously, it's delightful.  What more could you ask for?  By the way, this book would make a great gift.

You should hear my husband say "theater," he makes it a  eighty-five syllable word, but it still sounds cute..

No comments:

Post a Comment