Monday, May 17, 2021

The Hunting Wives by May Cobb



Hello everyone.  I hope your day has been great so far.

Are you part of a club?  A book club maybe?  What about when you were a kid?  I was a Girl Scout.  I started in Brownies, many of my neighborhood friends were in the same troop.  We went camping together, had parties, earned badges, and sold cookies.  I remember getting my cooking badge.  All the neighborhood Moms pitched in.  For the cooking badge, Mrs. Jones taught us to make Chocolate Crinkle cookies.  She showed us how to measure properly, crack an egg, use a mixer, etc.  It was fun and it's one of the handful of things I remember from scouting.  My mother hosted the Halloween party, where I mastered bobbing for apples.  If you've never done it, you get quite wet and if you're old enough to be reading this and use makeup...forget it...head straight for the cider.

I recently read The Hunting Wives by May Cobb.  This is the story of a woman, Sophie, who moves with her family to Texas.  She's lonely and meets Margot, who has an easy sophistication.  Margot also has an unofficial club of women who admire her and they all pal around together.  This clique notices Sophie and asks her to join them.  Their going out late and drinking puts pressure on Sophie's marriage but she is drawn to this group, Margot, specifically.  She even likes the women after she discovers that they meet for wine and shoot rifles.  No problem, Sophie can keep up, she's athletic and a good shot.  Then someone turns up dead.  

This book is a sexy, delicious pleasure as you watch what happens to all involved.  To anyone ever having a bad experience caused by a "mean girl," this is for you.  Nothing but thrillery fun here.

By the way, I still make Mrs. Jones' cookies every Christmas and, yes, I measure correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment