Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Chapter Thirteen by Maria A. Palace



Hello everyone.  I hope your day is going well.

I'm sure you are not surprised by the fact that I get many emails about books.  Mostly from authors, publishers or publicists asking if I'll read a story they are representing or have written.  While I try and review the blockbuster books that I know you are contemplating reading, every now and then I like to read an author that I'm not familiar with or is just getting started. Let's face it, thousands and thousands of talented writers never get a literary agent and are miles away from getting a publishing contract.  Does that mean they are not as good as published authors, NO!  I've read many self published or small publisher books that put some New York Times Best sellers to shame...Monkey Temple by Peter Gelfan comes to mind, so does Picket Fences by Emma L.R. Hogg. I'm still thinking about both of them and I read Monkey Temple two years ago! My point is for you to consider a non-mainstream book.  How many people have you seen get on those singing shows that drive a bus for a living but can sing better than "stars".  Talent is widespread and not always recognized.

I recently read Chapter Thirteen by Maria Palace. The novel is about a woman, Kate, who has lost several loved ones.  She moves home to Pennsylvania and is working as a journalist when she sent to cover an old mansion.  Kate or Katy gets to know the old lady that lives in the house but all is not what it seems.  I don't want to give it away but if you like paranormal or love stories, you'd really like this. The writing flows nicely, dialog is great and I ADORE how the author doesn't make the reader sit through every outing.  For example saying something like "after the date ended" instead of making us sit through each second.  Love that!  Just give me the meat and potatoes of the story and that is exactly what this author does, which makes this story a very pleasant reading experience.  This is also a quick read with nicely sized chapters.  The story itself is interesting and the characters are well defined and likeable.  

The book is a solid, well written, fun, highly enjoyable, well paced read.  Maria Palace is on my radar now, next time she has a book release I'll be in line to buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment