Sunday, May 9, 2021

Mother May I by Joshilyn Jackson



Hello everyone.  I hope you're having a very nice day.

I'm gonna cry but I have to tell you about my mother.  She died suddenly when I was thirty.  I thought being the big three-oh would be the worst thing about that year, I was wrong.  It still is painful because she was such a great Mom, so I remind myself to be grateful.  My mom was stunningly beautiful. She was the kindest person you could ever meet.  Mom managed to deal with me as a three year old and newborn triplet girls (and we all know what a pain they were). Christmas was her favorite time of year. Mom loved to play games even video games, she would be amazed that my niece works on video games and would love the games of today. She knitted hats for the homeless. We had to walk up a large hill from the bus stop and in the winter, we would always have four cups to hot chocolate waiting. She hated having her picture taken but loved family photos. Mom would float around our pool, sitting on a ball, reading a book. She read a lot, thrillers, romance and Agatha Christie.  She didn't even get mad when we cannonballed her, soaking her book.  My mom loved model trains, so does my husband.  When my parents would visit, Mom and hubby would go "hobby" shopping together, each vowing not to tell their partner how much they spent. Mom adored her parents and my dad was her absolute soulmate.  Above all else, she would do anything for her children.

I recently read Mother May I by Joshilyn Jackson.  I have enjoyed this author in the past so was anxious to read her newest book. This is the story of a woman, Bree, who has everything.  A wonderful life and family.  One day she thinks she thinks she sees an older woman looking through the window of their house.  The she believes the strange woman is following her.  Suddenly, while at her daughter's school, her baby, asleep in a stroller, disappears.  Taken by the old lady, she tells Bree to do exactly what she says or she'll never see her child again.  When Bree realizes that the kidnapper is a mother herself she is even more shocked, how can one mom do this to another? This book asks some very interesting questions.  What would you do for your child? Would you kill someone?  Would you sacrifice someone else from your family? Would you be set on revenge? Would you kidnap another woman's child? 

This thriller is easy to get into with limited characters.  It is fast paced, spacing twists throughout instead of just at the end.  You'll find this book enthralling and terrifying.  Perhaps if you're pregnant or the Mom of a toddler, skip this one.

I wonder what my mom would have thought of Mother May I.  How it would stack up against the thrillers of her time?  Coma still gives me the creeps!

No comments:

Post a Comment