Saturday, May 8, 2021

The Good Sister by Sally Hepworth


Hello everyone.  I hope your day is going well.

Do you have siblings?  I find them very odd, in sooo many ways!  It is weird to have someone share your DNA but be completely different people.  We have shared memories but then branched out into our own lives.  I think my experience may be different from many people's as my sisters are triplets.  They have a unique bond I don't share.  Many years ago, lotto was really big and my husband was going to buy a "family" ticket.  He called each of the trips to have them give him a number, they all gave the same one! They seem to have a sense of each other's welfare despite living hundreds of miles apart.  I told you they were odd!

I recently read The Good Sister by Sally Hepworth. This author also wrote The Mother-In-Law, which I enjoyed.  This new book is the story of twin sisters who grow up in less than ideal circumstances. Fern, is now a librarian, and is sensitive to too many stimuli.  Rose, an interior designer for businesses, has always acted as Fern's protector.  Sadly, Rose discovers that she is unable to have a baby so Fern decides to get pregnant and give the baby to Rose since she has been her lifelong champion and beloved sister.

This book is very much like The Mother-In-Law, it is an interesting story...to start.  Just as we are engaged and feel we really know the characters the author starts throwing in subtle hints that perhaps something is not right.  Slowly the delightful storyline is in doubt.  Can we believe anything we read?  Then those hints that things aren't as they should be turn into all out twists as the world she has created for the reader falls completely apart.  This book was very enjoyable, especially as I've become more familiar with Sally Hepworth's plotting style.

I'm gonna start sending the triplets a mental image and see if they pick up on it.  "Send me a book....send me a book!"  

No comments:

Post a Comment