Monday, May 3, 2021

Finlay Donovan Is Killing It by Elle Cosimano



Hello everyone.  I hope you're having a good day.

Have you ever seen one of those videos that pops up in your Face Book feed where a baby laughs at their grandfather making a face? I'm not subscribed to any cute baby groups but they always show up in my feed, kind of like those videos about how to serve a filet mignon dinner using only ring dings and mustard.  Obviously some portions of the internet think I'm a female MacGyver, obviously they haven't seen the the fine film of filth covering my house!  Hummm, maybe the filth is holding everything together and that IS my MacGyver-ness.  I like that, dirt on purpose not because I'm lazy.

Something everyone has in common is liking to laugh.  I remember being at my Aunt and Uncle's house for a Christmas Eve party and my dad holding the whole room captive as he was delighted by telling a joke.  I think it went like this: "I have a bird named Chet and he sings.  If I hold a match under him but to the right he sings Jingle Bells.  If I hold a match under him but to the left he sings Oh Holy Night.  If I hold a match under him in the center he sings Chet's Nuts Roasting On An Open Fire." My extended family laughed loudly and my father was filled with joy at making everyone laugh.  Now maybe it was the booze, being off work for the holiday, or being with his family but Dad was truly happy.  It's a very good memory.

I recently read Finlay Donovan Is Killing It by Elle Cosimano. This book is about an author who goes to meet her agent and misses their reservation at an upscale restaurant so they end up meeting at Panera.  Finlay is describing the plot of her book when she is overheard by a woman at a nearby table.  When Finlay gets up to leave she discovers a note from the other patron who is offering her $50,000 to kill her husband.  The plot of the book has been taken as real and Finlay is thought to be a contract killer! Not only is Finlay way behind on her book but she's out of money, making the stranger's note all the more interesting.

This book is a great read and perfect break from the world we live in.  It is fast, interesting, easy to read, easy to get into, has clearly defined characters and plot but most of all this book is funny.   How funny?  Read to your husband funny.  Tell him to put his meeting on mute so they don't hear you reading him your book, funny.  Text your sisters, "OMG you've got to read this" funny.  If you like to laugh and could use a break from reality, this book is for you. If you like slapstick comedy but in word form, you must read this story.  Oh heck, just trust me, go get this book.  Unless of course you hate to laugh, then I wash my hands of you. 

Even though my dad is gone, my nephew has his same sense of humor.  I'll have to make sure I tell him Dad's Chet joke and see who he can make laugh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment