Monday, January 17, 2022

All I Want by Darcey Bell



Hello everyone.  I hope you're safe and warm.

So today, ladies and gents I want to talk to you about a horror story.  A truly scary topic, you may want your children to leave the room.  Ready, wait, are you seated?  Okay.., house prices.  Oh yes, I dared, I "went there".  Now that I have it out in the open, I feel so much better.  House prices in the United States have gone absolutely berserk!  Now, for selling my house, I, of course, welcome a high house price.  But how dare other house sellers want me to pay ridiculous prices for what amounts to a two-car garage.  Not even living over the "gay-raage" Sabrina style.  I'm talking almost $800,000 for less than 2,000 square feet, in some cases just two bedrooms.  And you house lovers please enlighten me about the current trend of NO DINING ROOM?  What numskull thought that was a good idea?  Don't people know I've got my grandparents china that is begging to be used.  No matter how you dress it up, fine, heirloom china and silver just doesn't work when you're eating in the kitchen, where dirty dishes abound, and the ice maker rumbles...there is no decorum.  Our old house days are done (after our current), but a Victorian house always has a stunning dining room.  Yup, they sure could make 'em back then and for less than a gazillion dollars too.

I recently read All I Want by Darcey Bell.  She is the author of A Simple Favor, which I read and enjoyed.  This time the story is about Emma and Ben.  They live in NYC, where Ben produces Broadway shows and Emma is pregnant with their first child.  Ben finds a great house at a cheap price (picture me rolling my eyes with jealousy).  The house is an old elaborate Victorian in the Catskills, it has a sorted past due to its large size.  Ben and the realtor convince Emma that this would be a great place to raise their child.  The purchase is made, a restoration contractor is hired.  Everything seems to be going as planned until Ben starts spending more time on his new show in the city and odd things start happening to Emma, now alone at their mansion.

This quick hit book of just over two hundred and fifty pages, is fun.  While it doesn't feature things jumping out at you, it definitely has the reader waiting for what's around each corner.  I thought I had it figured out, but on the very last page there is another twist and I discover I was wrong. I love when the author fools me.

If you want Shakespeare or a slasher movie....I mean book...this isn't for you.  If you want a quick hit of spooky, gotcha fun, this fits the bill.  Just the thing to keep you occupied during that next snowstorm.

No comments:

Post a Comment