Thursday, January 6, 2022

The Lost Apothecary by Sarah Penner



Hello everyone.  I hope you enjoyed some nice holiday time.

I often tease my family here...hey, who wouldn't?  Especially if you met them, believe me, there is a lot to joke.  In fact, when we were at our first appointment for premarital counseling all those years ago, the minister asked what hubby and I saw as one of our major issues.  I said, "He thinks he's funnier."  My husband jumped in insisting that, in fact, he was the more humorous between us.  We had a lighthearted argument about it in front of the woman to marry us.  After that session she pronounced us ready to wed, even telling my mother we "would be fine" for the future. That was decades ago, and I don't know about us being "fine", but I will tell you that my husband still draws breath (for the time being), so I guess that is something.  

Seriously, my husband is a keeper.  He is strong but tender, unbelievably sweet yet equally annoying, he is way too smart when he wants to be.  Yep, he is one of the kind of men that I adore, those that are completely secure in their manhood.  They can go buy lipstick and lumber, carry heavy furniture one minute and cradle a tiny puppy the next. The kind of man that knows your pain or joy by just looking in your eyes.  I chose wisely.  Some do not.

I recently read The Lost Apothecary by Sarah Penner.  This is the story of Caroline, whose marriage is crumbling.  She escapes to London for a break, while there Caroline discovers an old bottle from a centuries old apothecary.  Since she is interested in history, she becomes determined to find the source of the unusual glass relic.  This story is also told from back when the apothecary is still operating.  It holds many secrets, including that its mission is to sell poison for women to use against their deserving husbands.

This clever story is a joy to read.   It is hard to put down as betrayal and mystery abounds.   As the present day and past stories start to mirror each other, you'll find yourself desperate to get to the finish, not wanting the storytelling to stop but to discover answers.  The end, both surprising and satisfying, left me wanting more. This sweeping tale is a pleasure and not to be missed.

How about The Lost Tavern next?  No, no, The Lost Bookstore!

No comments:

Post a Comment