Friday, February 11, 2022

The Maid by Nita Prose



Hello everyone.  I hope you are well.

During this time where we have found ourselves at home more due to pandemic and weather, have you found yourself cleaning more?  I know there was a huge rush of people cleaning out closets when Covid first hit, as if that was adequate entertainment.  I am sorry to say that if you open any of my closets you best duck as you're likely to get beaned with a flying sneaker.  Oh, don't get me wrong, I love the house to be perfect, I just don't want to be the one to make it that way.  I admit, after seeing news stories about industrious people organizing their homes, making good use of their time, I was inspired.  I cleaned out a drawer in our dining room buffet.  Yep, that's as far as I got.  I don't know, it all lost its appeal as soon as I found the exploded fifteen-year-old batteries that put acidy white powder over everything.  I mean there is cleaning, then there is real cleaning.  I am more of a "wave a sponge around and light a good smelling candle" girl.

I recently read The Maid by Nita Prose.  This is the story of a young woman named Molly.  She leads an orderly life.  She lost her best friend, mentor and roommate, her beloved grandmother a few months ago.  Gran had helped Molly navigate through life as Molly is a bit awkward with social situations. What is Molly good at? Cleaning.  Molly loves and is great at cleaning.  She is one of those people who is fortunate to do what she loves as Molly works at a grand hotel as a maid.  Yes, you read that correctly she loves to clean and return rooms to a state of perfection.  One day, she tries to service the suite of a wealthy couple only to find the husband dead.  What happened? Was he killed?  Who did it?  

This book was interesting and fun.  Some have described it like the game Clue, which is accurate.  I swear as I read even the book looked cleaner than most, with crisper printing and more accurately cut book pages.  Molly is so contagious she actually gave me a physical book in the "state of perfection".  The writing is wonderful and characters complex, you won't be disappointed with this classic who-dun-it.

So, take off your maid costume (I won't judge) and put down your feather duster and go get this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment