Saturday, March 12, 2022

The Lightning Rod by Brad Meltzer




Hello everyone.  I hope you're having a good day.

I told you that my dad worked at a facility that took government contracts for various things, and that my dad had a high security clearance.  Actually, I worked there too.  No, nothing as exciting as my dad but I had a job there as an intern one summer.  I was shocked by the security I saw, which was obviously only a tiny portion.  I remember them insisting that typewriter ribbons be locked up at night, fearing someone could read them.  Yes, I said typewriter...look junior there was a world before you and your fancy laptop...youngster.  Phew, okay, feeling a bit better about having to admit I used the infamous Selectric.  Also surprising, was that every bit of trash was shredded, unless it was your sandwich wrapper from lunch it was cut into unreadable bits.  I thought I was the new female James Bond, all that typing and mail (yes, real mail) delivering I did. It's so funny, I had no idea what I was right in the middle of, I suspect secret stuff is often like that

I recently read The Lightning Rod by Brad Meltzer.  This is the second in a series.  Honestly, it's going to be better if you read the first book, The Escape Artist, but if you are stubborn and have an odd aversion to great books then skip it, The Lightning Rod will still be enjoyable.  Basically, the whole series revolves around Zig who is a mortician at Dover Air Force base and Nola who is a young military artist. Sounds not so great, I mean a mortician, ick.  Wait, don't go by your first instincts.  This series is fantastic.  Both books are thrillers, not like "gosh, my neighbor looks shady" thriller, I mean like looking around each corner, on the run, heart pounding, page flipping so fast you create a breeze thriller.  I could go on and on about the plots of both books, but honestly, they are so involved and constantly changing. There are government and personal secrets that the reader discovers, each feeding on the other.  Trust me, just get them...both.  AND, if you have a man in your life that won't read, these are male chest pounding enough to really hold his interest.  However, they aren't so shoot'em up-ish that women won't like them.  Yep, boys and girls, these books are for thriller lovers everywhere.

I have to go put chicken wings in the oven, I'm sure James Bond does that all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment